Franklin Regional cross country teams begin year at Gateway
By Matt Grubba
Published: Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, 8:46 p.m.
Franklin Regional's cross country teams both opened their season with top-5 placings Saturday at the Gateway Invitational.
The boys team placed third with 112 points, which put them behind only champion Baldwin and Fox Chapel. The girls were fifth with 136 points, as Hempfield took the girls team title.
Leading the FR boys across the line was Luke Schott, who placed sixth with a time of 18 minutes, 21 seconds. Only a short distance behind him were teammates Ben Myers, who was 11th in 18:33, and Brett Trottier, who was 13th in 18:37.
Ian Griffith was 35th in 19:24, Mo Sajjid was 47th in 19:59, and Tim Mastovich was 50th in 20:02 to round out the boys finishers for the Panthers.
Kaitlyn Figurelli led the Panthers' girls with a time of 21:47, and Danielle Vensel was a second behind her, as the pair took eighth and ninth place.
Behind them for FR's girls were Allison Holcombe, who was 30th in 23:53; Katja Kochvar, who was 39th in 24:23; Haley Grajewski, who was 50th in 25:04; Amanda Gumab, who was 51st in 25:05; and Meg Irvine, who was 70th in 27:14.
Franklin Regional races again this Saturday at the Red, White & Blue Invitational at Schenley Park in Pittsburgh. The first race begins at 8 a.m.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Maatta not a top rookie finalist
- Indictment alleges scheme defrauded government of $10 million
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- State College restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- ‘Save Chatham’ protesters ordered to leave Shadyside campus
- Highmark’s insurance profit falls 40%
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Duquesne teachers accept fact-finder recommendations for contract
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Eddie Merlot’s steakhouse attracts with menu, wines, decor