Baldwin looks to bounce back from disappointing loss
Baldwin will host Plum in its home opener this Friday at 7:30 p.m.
Both teams are seeking their first victory of the 2012 season.
Baldwin opened up with a disappointing 40-12 loss at Peters Township last week, while Plum was being shellacked at Bethel Park, 55-14.
The Fighting Highlanders trailed by a touchdown at halftime against Peters, but were outscored, ssksk, in the second half.
Baldwin's star running back Dorian Brown, a 5-10, 172-pound senior, rushed for slslsl yards on slsl carries, and scored two touchdowns.
Bethel Park built up a 41-0 halftime lead against Plum, which averted a shutout by generating a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns.
“There are no slouches in this conference. It's going to be a grinder,” Plum head coach Frank Sacco said prior to the start of the season. “The key for us again this year is staying healthy.”
The Mustangs struggled to a 1-8 overall record in 2011, and was 0-6 in the Quad East Conference.
This year's team has 25 returning lettermen, led by senior Jake DiGuilio, Plum's lone returning all-conference player from a year ago. He earned a second-team nod at linebacker.
DiGuilio, who is in his third year as a two-way starter and led the Mustangs in tackles last season, is receiving recruiting interest from Division III schools.
On offense, he scored four of Plum's five rushing touchdowns in 2011.
Trib Total Media contributed to this story.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Pa. Gov. Corbett: From pension critic to collector
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Injuries to Penguins’ Ehrhoff, Letang force defense to pick up slack
- Five is enough for Penguins’ defensemen
- Ohio governor Kasich, a McKees Rocks native, considers presidential run
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Laurel Mountain Ski Resort discusses planned revival
- Pgh. International leader strives to inject Pittsburgh flavor into airport
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Blaze guts South Greensburg home, kills 2 dogs
- Ligonier doctor’s appeal to practice rejected