Baldwin looks to bounce back from disappointing loss
Published: Friday, September 7, 2012, 11:55 a.m.
Updated: Friday, September 7, 2012
Baldwin will host Plum in its home opener this Friday at 7:30 p.m.
Both teams are seeking their first victory of the 2012 season.
Baldwin opened up with a disappointing 40-12 loss at Peters Township last week, while Plum was being shellacked at Bethel Park, 55-14.
The Fighting Highlanders trailed by a touchdown at halftime against Peters, but were outscored, ssksk, in the second half.
Baldwin's star running back Dorian Brown, a 5-10, 172-pound senior, rushed for slslsl yards on slsl carries, and scored two touchdowns.
Bethel Park built up a 41-0 halftime lead against Plum, which averted a shutout by generating a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns.
“There are no slouches in this conference. It's going to be a grinder,” Plum head coach Frank Sacco said prior to the start of the season. “The key for us again this year is staying healthy.”
The Mustangs struggled to a 1-8 overall record in 2011, and was 0-6 in the Quad East Conference.
This year's team has 25 returning lettermen, led by senior Jake DiGuilio, Plum's lone returning all-conference player from a year ago. He earned a second-team nod at linebacker.
DiGuilio, who is in his third year as a two-way starter and led the Mustangs in tackles last season, is receiving recruiting interest from Division III schools.
On offense, he scored four of Plum's five rushing touchdowns in 2011.
Trib Total Media contributed to this story.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.