Prospect watch: Pine-Richland's Pat Kline
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
6-foot-4, 260 pounds, C/DT, Pine-Richland
Pat Kline has played everywhere from inside linebacker to defensive end and tackle in three seasons as a starter at Pine-Richland, so he's shown a willingness to play any position.
“It honestly doesn't matter to me,” Kline said. “They're taking advantage and putting me wherever they need me. I like pretty much any position on defense. Whether it's defensive line or linebacker, it doesn't matter to me. I'll play wherever I'm put.
“But I think end is where I'll fit best.”
Then again, Kline also plays center for the Rams. He's slightly undersized, but showed the ability to gain weight in the offseason by adding 20 pounds since his junior year despite undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow in June.
Kline's only preference is to be in the middle of the action, and Metro Index scouting director Joe Butler believes Kline could play either linebacker or defensive end, if not on the interior line.
“I feel like my leadership skills help the team a lot,” Kline said. “My (best trait is the) ability to control the offensive line when I'm on defense, because I'm in the line of the ball.”
Kline is receiving interest from Pitt, Navy and Division I-AA programs such as Youngstown State and St. Francis (Pa.) and is hoping a strong senior season improves his stock.
“I would like to play D-I, but it's mostly which school wants me most,” said Kline, who has a 3.0 grade-point average and scored 1,600 on the SAT. “I've got to see what fits me the best.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Maatta not a top rookie finalist
- Indictment alleges scheme defrauded government of $10 million
- Highmark’s insurance profit falls 40%
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Former PPG executive indicted in fatal N.H. crash
- Alaska’s Iditarod Trail challenges Unity couple
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions