Northgate pounds West Shamokin
By Jonathan Cyprowski
Published: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 1:30 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, September 8, 2012
Northgate quarterback Cody Walter needed just one play to remind West Shamokin of his talents Friday.
Walter rolled out and threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Georgie Floyd in the Flames' first play from scrimmage during a 47-12 home win that improved Northgate to 2-0 in Eastern Conference play. He was involved with five touchdowns, four of which he scored himself.
“Our whole plan was to strike quick,” said Northgate coach T.J. Wiley. “We wanted to come out and make a statement early. We were able to do that on our first offensive play, and that set our offensive game plan in motion.”
Less than five minutes after the first touchdown, Walter returned a West Shamokin punt 68 yards for his third return touchdown in two weeks. Northgate went ahead, 15-0.
Walter finished with 316 all-purpose yards, including 148 rushing on 12 carries. He completed his two pass attempts for 81 yards.
West Shamokin's night got worse when quarterback Alex Lasslo exited with an injury in the second quarter. The situation only added to a night of frustration for Wolves coach Josh Gilliland.
“We shouldn't have lost”, said Gilliland.
“They weren't 47-12 better than us, but we make too many stupid mistakes.”
Jonathan Cyprowski is a freelance writer.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Pools prep for summer
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- 3 arrested in break-in at Allegheny Ludlum plant
- Former Jeannette hospital attracts Calif. buyer
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.