Northgate pounds West Shamokin
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Northgate quarterback Cody Walter needed just one play to remind West Shamokin of his talents Friday.
Walter rolled out and threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Georgie Floyd in the Flames' first play from scrimmage during a 47-12 home win that improved Northgate to 2-0 in Eastern Conference play. He was involved with five touchdowns, four of which he scored himself.
“Our whole plan was to strike quick,” said Northgate coach T.J. Wiley. “We wanted to come out and make a statement early. We were able to do that on our first offensive play, and that set our offensive game plan in motion.”
Less than five minutes after the first touchdown, Walter returned a West Shamokin punt 68 yards for his third return touchdown in two weeks. Northgate went ahead, 15-0.
Walter finished with 316 all-purpose yards, including 148 rushing on 12 carries. He completed his two pass attempts for 81 yards.
West Shamokin's night got worse when quarterback Alex Lasslo exited with an injury in the second quarter. The situation only added to a night of frustration for Wolves coach Josh Gilliland.
“We shouldn't have lost”, said Gilliland.
“They weren't 47-12 better than us, but we make too many stupid mistakes.”
Jonathan Cyprowski is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County inmate dies at hospital
- Troopers shoot person inside Somerset grocery store
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Feds: Temple professor offered China data on U.S.-made device
- Wigle Whiskey celebrates anniversary with its first-ever bourbon
- New Kensington Megan’s Law offender jailed on new child porn charges
- Officials envision reinvigorated Allegheny County Airport
- Pa. sees widespread job gains; jobless rate holds at 5.3%
- Westmoreland used car dealers indicted in fraud
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Police confiscate heroin, phones, cash in North Versailles bust