Trib HS Insider Q&A: West Mifflin's Derrick Fulmore
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin senior Derrick Fulmore has done as much damage to opposing defense as he has wrought on his opponents' offenses as a dominant defender. As a dual-threat quarterback, Fulmore has been effective running the ball this season with 13 carries for 169 yards and three touchdowns, but has also done the job with his arm when needed with 61 yards and a score.
Q: What is it like being 2-0 in this, your senior season?
A: It feels pretty good. I know that the second game was a little harder (against Belle Vernon) but it was pretty good.
Q: What was it like being on the field and watching Jimmy Wheeler rush for 342 yards against Belle Vernon?
A: I didn't think that was going to happen, so it was pretty good. I didn't know until the end of the fourth quarter that he had that much.
Q: He's one of the fastest guys in the WPIAL, but do you think you could beat him in a race?
A: Yeah! (Laughing)
Q: Have you ever raced him?
Q: What has this year been like with all the expectations you had coming in as defending conference co-champions?
A: A lot of people have been doubting us a lot, but we've just got to prove that we're good. We might not be as good as last year, but we're pretty good, and we think we can go far.
Q: What do you like to do when you're not playing football?
A: Basketball and track.
Q: What is your favorite sport?
A: Football. It was the first sport I played when I was little, and it's always been fun for me and I just love it.
Q: Are you surprised more colleges aren't looking at you, considering your skill set?
A: Not really because it's hard to get looks around here. I'm not really that disappointed by it, but I think they'll eventually come around.
Q: Where do you see yourself five years from now?
A: It's not a goal of mine to be in the NFL, but if the opportunity presents itself then I would go. If not, then I'll just get into a good career in business or accounting.
Q: What are some things you like to do with your family?
A: Whenever a movie comes out, me and my mom go see it. It's nice and my mom and I both love movies a lot.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- East Allegheny teachers gather on picket lines, hope to end contract dispute
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Pitt, city officials inspecting student housing in Oakland
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Police investigating morning school bus accident in Shelocta
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense