Pittsburgh Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Kiski Area's Brent Kennedy, Plum's Aaliyah Odom
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Kiski Area
Sport: Cross country
Claim to fame: Kennedy won the 10th annual Red, White & Blue Classic cross country meet with a time of 15 minutes, 27 seconds at the Schenley Park Oval on Saturday. Kennedy finished fourth in the WPIAL and seventh at the PIAA Class AAA meet as a sophomore.
How did your experience at the Notre Dame running camp change your perspective on competitive running?
It was a good opportunity to see how many great athletes there are all around the country. I met a state champion from Washington state. I met a few Notre Dame athletes. It was good to get the summer training going and run with all those good runners.
How many miles do you run during an average week?
I've been trying to get up around 50 or 60 miles a week and try to keep it around there. I do it after school, but I prefer to run in the morning.
Claim to fame: Odom scored three goals, including the game-winner in overtime, in Plum's 3-2 win over Oakland Catholic in Section 3-AAA on Sept. 5. Odom scored both of the Mustangs' goals in a 3-2 overtime loss against Franklin Regional last Thursday. The team leader in goals last season with 11, Odom has seven through Plum's first four games.
What are you doing differently this year that's brought on such early-season success?
I just want to be able to play with the team, so more of us are working together than in previous years when I was the striker. This year I have players beside me, so it's a lot more help. We have a stronger attack than any other year.
Where would you like to attend college?
I would want to go to Pitt or Penn State. Pitt would be my No. 1 choice.
— Brian Graham
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hunting creates strong bonds, traditions
- Unexected snow squalls bring icy conditions, accidents in West Mifflin
- Sentencing delayed for Operation Pork Chop mastermind
- Trib real estate writer Spatter ‘worked right to the end’
- For some Pennsylvania candidates, 2015 is already here
- Elizabeth council honors actions of 2 emergency responders
- McKeesport’s Minerva’s Bakery to be featured on Sebak’s documentary
- Salvation Army in W.Pa. uses social media campaign
- In Steelers-Saints game, all eyes on Brown-Lewis matchup
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Thousands attend Vandergrift Light-Up Night, Christmas parade