Brevard's running key to SSA's success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jared Brevard, a junior, has rushed for nearly 300 yards and five touchdowns in two games for the Shady Side Academy football team.
“Jarred is just a real, real good football player,” SSA coach Dave Havern said. “He'll break 2,000 yards pretty soon and already has 29 TDs, but we could line him up at guard and he'd give us a good game. He's one of the most coachable kids we've had at SSA.
“He has a great understanding of the game, especially the little nuances that a lot of people don't notice. The bonus to all this is that Jarred is also an excellent student and a real solid citizen.”
Brevard, 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, has been receiving letters from colleges and wherever he goes, he hopes to major in engineering.
Here's a closer look at Jarred:
Q: Is this the year you crack the 1,000 yard mark?
A: I hope so.
Q: Who have been the most influential people in your life?
A: My parents.
Q: What's your favorite things about Pittsburgh?
A: I love the atmosphere, especially during football season.
Q: Is there a food you refuse to eat?
Q: Who's faster, you or Dennis Briggs?
A: I'd have to say Dennis, but we're pretty close.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: “Friday Night Lights.”
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
A: “Jersey Shore.”
Q: Do you have a most embarrassing moment you'd like to forget about?
A: Nothing yet.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: Trent Richardson.
Q: If someone gave you a choice of a free ticket for a Steeler game, a Pirate game, a Penguin game or $200, which would you take?
A: The Steeler game.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Megan Fox.
Q: Do you think the Pirates will regroup and make the playoffs?
A: I hope so. They're struggling.
Q: What would make up your all-time favorite meal?
A: Ribs, mac and cheese and green beans from J.T's Rib Shack in Penn Hills. (Former SSA star) Reggie Mitchell's dad is the owner.
Q: If you were stranded on a desert island, aside from food and water, what three things would you have to have with you?
A: My phone, my Ipod and either a football or basketball.
Q: People would be surprised to know that I…
A: ...Used to be in a bowling league.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in North Oakland
- 3 in Westmoreland charged in painkiller ring
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Normally tight-lippped Marshawn Lynch fires back at critics
- District attorney rejects polygraph deal in molestation case
- Pitt’s 2015 schedule includes 5 road games in 1st 7 games
- Kennametal plans plant closings, job cuts; fallout from oil and gas decline
- Highmark members to keep maternity care at Magee in 2015
- San Francisco blaze kills Mission District resident
- Chase Elliott to replace retiring Gordon in No. 24 car
- Homeland chief says cuts over immigration puts U.S. at risk