Brevard's running key to SSA's success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jared Brevard, a junior, has rushed for nearly 300 yards and five touchdowns in two games for the Shady Side Academy football team.
“Jarred is just a real, real good football player,” SSA coach Dave Havern said. “He'll break 2,000 yards pretty soon and already has 29 TDs, but we could line him up at guard and he'd give us a good game. He's one of the most coachable kids we've had at SSA.
“He has a great understanding of the game, especially the little nuances that a lot of people don't notice. The bonus to all this is that Jarred is also an excellent student and a real solid citizen.”
Brevard, 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, has been receiving letters from colleges and wherever he goes, he hopes to major in engineering.
Here's a closer look at Jarred:
Q: Is this the year you crack the 1,000 yard mark?
A: I hope so.
Q: Who have been the most influential people in your life?
A: My parents.
Q: What's your favorite things about Pittsburgh?
A: I love the atmosphere, especially during football season.
Q: Is there a food you refuse to eat?
Q: Who's faster, you or Dennis Briggs?
A: I'd have to say Dennis, but we're pretty close.
Q: What movie could you watch over and over?
A: “Friday Night Lights.”
Q: What's your favorite TV show?
A: “Jersey Shore.”
Q: Do you have a most embarrassing moment you'd like to forget about?
A: Nothing yet.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: Trent Richardson.
Q: If someone gave you a choice of a free ticket for a Steeler game, a Pirate game, a Penguin game or $200, which would you take?
A: The Steeler game.
Q: Who would be your dream date?
A: Megan Fox.
Q: Do you think the Pirates will regroup and make the playoffs?
A: I hope so. They're struggling.
Q: What would make up your all-time favorite meal?
A: Ribs, mac and cheese and green beans from J.T's Rib Shack in Penn Hills. (Former SSA star) Reggie Mitchell's dad is the owner.
Q: If you were stranded on a desert island, aside from food and water, what three things would you have to have with you?
A: My phone, my Ipod and either a football or basketball.
Q: People would be surprised to know that I…
A: ...Used to be in a bowling league.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Public station WQED cutting staff in face of financial woes
- Multisport athletes help Derry cross country find success
- I-79 line painting begins Thursday
- Pittsburgh rallies for second year of Pirates magic
- Animal Friends receives $1.5 million state grant
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Corbett to sign bill to help lower fatal overdoses