Quaker Valley, Sewickley Academy again fighting for section tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Sewickley Academy and Quaker Valley girls tennis teams are battling again for the Section 6-AA title.
Heading into the second half of the season, Quaker Valley was 7-0 in the section. Sewickley Academy was 5-1, its only loss coming to Quaker Valley, which beat the Panthers, 4-1, last week.
The two teams are scheduled to meet again on Oct. 3 at Sewickley Academy.
In the last four years, Sewickley Academy and Quaker Valley were section co-champions twice. Sewickley Academy was sole champion last season and in 2009.
Each team had two players reach the semifinals of the section singles championship last Thursday at Sewickley Academy.
In the final, Quaker Valley senior Spencer Caravaggio defeated Sewickley Academy junior Sydney Miggantz, 6-1, 6-1.
Caravaggio, Miggantz and Sewickley Academy junior Samantha Gohh will represent the section at today's WPIAL tournament at Keystone Oaks. The finals are Friday at North Allegheny.
Gohh finished third at the section championship.
“The rivalry (between Sewickley Academy and Quaker Valley) is as strong as ever,” said Caravaggio, the 2010 WPIAL singles champion. “I hope it stays that way. It makes all of us better players.”
Sewickley Academy has been rebuilding after sweeping section, WPIAL and PIAA team titles a year ago.
Besides Miggantz and Gohh, playing for the Panthers this year have been juniors Amy Cheng, Jappmann Monga and Sydney Joseph.
“We have no seniors,” said Whitney Snyder, his sixth year as Sewickley Academy coach. “We're a work in progress.
“But success breeds success. We've been able to attract good young players who keep us competitive.”
Caravaggio and freshman Farrah Bojalad lead Quaker Valley.
Bojalad finished fourth at the section singles championship.
“A lot of our players are new to me,” said Jeff Sebastian, who returned as Quaker Valley coach after a one-year absence. “I've been pleasantly surprised with their progress.”
Senior Connor Hamilton and junior Caroline Steliotes form Quaker Valley's No. 1 doubles team.
Juniors Isabella Hubsch and Emily Veeck play second doubles for the Quakers.
The section doubles championship is scheduled for Sept. 27 and 28 at Sewickley Academy.
Quaker Valley was runner-up to Sewickley Academy at the WPIAL team championship two of the last three years. Last season, Sewickley Academy beat the Quakers in the final, 5-0.
The Quakers were WPIAL champions in 2010, when Sewickley Academy was runner-up.
From 2004 to 2007, Quaker Valley was WPIAL champion four straight times. Sewickley Academy finished second in 2005.
This year's WPIAL team championship will be held Oct. 10.
Karen Kadilak is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Westmoreland judges’ caseloads unlikely to affect district boundary changes