Lady Rams volleyball moves forward with new coach
By Jerry Clark
Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 8:55 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, September 19, 2012
The Pine-Richland Lady Rams volleyball team was among the best in the WPIAL for much of the time Emily Walker presided over the team as coach. Walker stepped aside after last season, but taking over is a former teammate and assistant of Walker's, Amanda Fetter.
Fetter plans on keeping the team competitive. Her recipe is simple, and she has the players to run it.
“We do it with team effort … all the players and all the staff together,” Fetter said. “The kids participate 110 percent as a team and I want to keep it that way.”
Fetter had experience as a player at Campbell University before transferring to Costal Carolina prior to assisting on Walker's staff.
To construct her version of the volleyball program, Fetter will utilize several experienced players who were critical the past couple seasons and hungry to make their mark this year.
Four returning starters will lead the way: outside hitter Chloe DiPasquale, middle hitters Abby Dix and Gabby Olsen and setter Abby Peters.
“Their experience will be huge,” Fetter said. “The team has been very successful the past three years. There is only one year the team was not in the WPIAL finals (during that span). The seniors don't know anything but success.
“They set the bar high, and they know how to win.”
Although the core is experienced, Fetter said there is no shortage of talented players who are eager to contribute.
“The youth has stepped up and worked hard to be successful,” Fetter said. “They have big roles and will see a lot of playing time.”
Fetter said she has an endless list of players to go to during games, and she will need the whole crew this season.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 724-779-6979.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.