Latrobe jumps out to early lead; holds on to knock off FC in non-conference contest
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel varsity football team fell behind early against Latrobe and never recovered as FC lost to the Wildcats, 25-13, in a non-conference game.
Latrobe led 13-0 after one quarter and the score remained the same at the half.
The Foxes made a game of it as Nigel Garnett rambled for a 42-yard touchdown in the third quarter.
Ben Mroz nailed the extra point to make it 13-7. Latrobe answered quickly as they scored a touchdown in the third and fourth quarters to make it 25-6.
The Foxes (0-3) scored the final points of the game on an 11-yard pass from Stephen Covelli to Brandon Mitchell.
The Foxes will return home this week to take on the undefeated Central Catholic Vikings at 7 p.m.
The Vikings crushed Canon-McMillan last week, 42-0.
Their balanced offense featured four different backs running for touchdowns.
On defense, they returned two interceptions for scores.
Running back Todd Coles led the attack with 81 yards on seven carries. He added a 51-yard touchdown run and he returned an interception 25 yards for a score.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in 43-19 preseason loss at Bills
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Pennsylvania welfare employees targeted in crackdown