Latrobe jumps out to early lead; holds on to knock off FC in non-conference contest
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel varsity football team fell behind early against Latrobe and never recovered as FC lost to the Wildcats, 25-13, in a non-conference game.
Latrobe led 13-0 after one quarter and the score remained the same at the half.
The Foxes made a game of it as Nigel Garnett rambled for a 42-yard touchdown in the third quarter.
Ben Mroz nailed the extra point to make it 13-7. Latrobe answered quickly as they scored a touchdown in the third and fourth quarters to make it 25-6.
The Foxes (0-3) scored the final points of the game on an 11-yard pass from Stephen Covelli to Brandon Mitchell.
The Foxes will return home this week to take on the undefeated Central Catholic Vikings at 7 p.m.
The Vikings crushed Canon-McMillan last week, 42-0.
Their balanced offense featured four different backs running for touchdowns.
On defense, they returned two interceptions for scores.
Running back Todd Coles led the attack with 81 yards on seven carries. He added a 51-yard touchdown run and he returned an interception 25 yards for a score.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Script is it: Classic Pitt helmet design to return
- Penn Avenue site tops group’s preservation list
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- 2 dead, including student gunman, after Wash. school shooting
- Doll, miniature collectors appreciate small details at Westmoreland show
- Washington city takes stock of damage from rare tornado
- ‘Rocky Horror’ takes center stage at Regent Square, Greensburg venues
- Westmoreland Symphony conductor to lead ‘Young Person’s Guide’
- 1686 shipwreck ‘like dinosaur’ being rebuilt for museum
- Vehicle smashes Commandments on capitol grounds in Oklahoma City
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins