Latrobe jumps out to early lead; holds on to knock off FC in non-conference contest
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel varsity football team fell behind early against Latrobe and never recovered as FC lost to the Wildcats, 25-13, in a non-conference game.
Latrobe led 13-0 after one quarter and the score remained the same at the half.
The Foxes made a game of it as Nigel Garnett rambled for a 42-yard touchdown in the third quarter.
Ben Mroz nailed the extra point to make it 13-7. Latrobe answered quickly as they scored a touchdown in the third and fourth quarters to make it 25-6.
The Foxes (0-3) scored the final points of the game on an 11-yard pass from Stephen Covelli to Brandon Mitchell.
The Foxes will return home this week to take on the undefeated Central Catholic Vikings at 7 p.m.
The Vikings crushed Canon-McMillan last week, 42-0.
Their balanced offense featured four different backs running for touchdowns.
On defense, they returned two interceptions for scores.
Running back Todd Coles led the attack with 81 yards on seven carries. He added a 51-yard touchdown run and he returned an interception 25 yards for a score.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise past Twins
- NHL notebook: Olympic hockey champion Craig to sell prized memorabilia items
- Mt. Pleasant Cemetery Association seeks aid to finance future upkeep
- Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
- Fed holds steady on rates
- Chiefs star Berry beats cancer, returns to field
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Beaver County widow won’t lose home over $6.30 late fee
- Folding chair collapses, child loses tips of at least 2 fingers in Arlington
- Steelers unfazed by Brady suspension saga