Latrobe jumps out to early lead; holds on to knock off FC in non-conference contest
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 8:55 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, September 19, 2012
The Fox Chapel varsity football team fell behind early against Latrobe and never recovered as FC lost to the Wildcats, 25-13, in a non-conference game.
Latrobe led 13-0 after one quarter and the score remained the same at the half.
The Foxes made a game of it as Nigel Garnett rambled for a 42-yard touchdown in the third quarter.
Ben Mroz nailed the extra point to make it 13-7. Latrobe answered quickly as they scored a touchdown in the third and fourth quarters to make it 25-6.
The Foxes (0-3) scored the final points of the game on an 11-yard pass from Stephen Covelli to Brandon Mitchell.
The Foxes will return home this week to take on the undefeated Central Catholic Vikings at 7 p.m.
The Vikings crushed Canon-McMillan last week, 42-0.
Their balanced offense featured four different backs running for touchdowns.
On defense, they returned two interceptions for scores.
Running back Todd Coles led the attack with 81 yards on seven carries. He added a 51-yard touchdown run and he returned an interception 25 yards for a score.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Penn Township police seek suspect who brought gun into foundry after suspension
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.