Latrobe jumps out to early lead; holds on to knock off FC in non-conference contest
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel varsity football team fell behind early against Latrobe and never recovered as FC lost to the Wildcats, 25-13, in a non-conference game.
Latrobe led 13-0 after one quarter and the score remained the same at the half.
The Foxes made a game of it as Nigel Garnett rambled for a 42-yard touchdown in the third quarter.
Ben Mroz nailed the extra point to make it 13-7. Latrobe answered quickly as they scored a touchdown in the third and fourth quarters to make it 25-6.
The Foxes (0-3) scored the final points of the game on an 11-yard pass from Stephen Covelli to Brandon Mitchell.
The Foxes will return home this week to take on the undefeated Central Catholic Vikings at 7 p.m.
The Vikings crushed Canon-McMillan last week, 42-0.
Their balanced offense featured four different backs running for touchdowns.
On defense, they returned two interceptions for scores.
Running back Todd Coles led the attack with 81 yards on seven carries. He added a 51-yard touchdown run and he returned an interception 25 yards for a score.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Hotel building boom sweeps Pittsburgh region
- Man involved with crash with officer dies in Pittsburgh hospital
- Port Authority fires two bus drivers involved in rollover crash
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable