Latrobe jumps out to early lead; holds on to knock off FC in non-conference contest
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel varsity football team fell behind early against Latrobe and never recovered as FC lost to the Wildcats, 25-13, in a non-conference game.
Latrobe led 13-0 after one quarter and the score remained the same at the half.
The Foxes made a game of it as Nigel Garnett rambled for a 42-yard touchdown in the third quarter.
Ben Mroz nailed the extra point to make it 13-7. Latrobe answered quickly as they scored a touchdown in the third and fourth quarters to make it 25-6.
The Foxes (0-3) scored the final points of the game on an 11-yard pass from Stephen Covelli to Brandon Mitchell.
The Foxes will return home this week to take on the undefeated Central Catholic Vikings at 7 p.m.
The Vikings crushed Canon-McMillan last week, 42-0.
Their balanced offense featured four different backs running for touchdowns.
On defense, they returned two interceptions for scores.
Running back Todd Coles led the attack with 81 yards on seven carries. He added a 51-yard touchdown run and he returned an interception 25 yards for a score.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- Undercover officers seize more than 2 dozen guns from Oakdale man
- Two charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Uniontown podiatrist, 6 others charged in prescription painkiller scheme
- Highmark lays off nearly 100 workers, mostly in IT, as membership declines
- U.S. economic growth revised downward to 2.2%
- Earl Lloyd, 1st black player in NBA, dies at 86
- Why would GOP candidate for Missouri governor Schweich kill himself?
- AG Kane’s spokesman leaving after 2 months on the job