Gateway volleyball team set to host Dig Green event
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity and junior varsity girls volleyball teams are teaming up with the players and coaches at Plum to sponsor a Dig Green event at Thursday's Section 4-AAA match between the Gators and Mustangs to raise money for the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society.
Event organizers want to raise an awareness as well as raise donations to assist in finding a cure.
“This is a cause that is very close to my heart,” said Lee Ann Benvenuto, a chief organizer for this event.
“My son was diagnosed with Lymphoma and Leukemia when he was 10 years old. He's 15 now, a sophomore at Gateway High School, and he's in remission.
“When he was diagnosed, I decided to take an active role to help find a cure. Every time you turn around, someone is affected with this illness.”
Benvenuto said a Dig Green event was held last school year at a Gateway boys basketball game, and it was successful.
She said Plum has been great in its support of the event, from deciding to join Gateway in wearing green at Thursday's match to also raising funds on its own.
“The Gateway girls were at the Plum Tournament (Saturday), and there were donation boxes and signs to help out the girls,” she said.
A 50-50 drawing, baked goods for sale and available collection boxes, Benvenuto said, are just some of the ways people can donate at Thursday's volleyball games.
“Volleyball often doesn't bring many spectators, but we're hoping people can come out and support their teams and this event,” Benvenuto said.
“Gateway and Plum are rivals on the court, but they are coming together for a good cause. We encourage everyone to wear green.”
According to the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society website, more than 628,000 people had Lymphoma or were in remission from the disease in 2010.
The Gateway and Plum junior varsity teams kick everything off at 6 p.m.
The varsity match is slated to begin at about 7 p.m.
“We hope to continue this as a Gateway tradition,” Benvenuto said.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Christmas in Western Pa. predicted to be ‘slightly white’
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Sony hack signals new, public front in cyber warfare
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes