Gateway girls golf team snaps streak
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity girls golf team snapped an 18-match losing streak in section play dating back to 2010 with a 222-227 victory over Fox Chapel last Friday at Murrysville Golf Club.
“We played well,” Gateway head coach Dennis Persin said.
“We're still making mistakes, but the scores are coming down, and that shows improvement.”
Gateway was 0-9 in Section 3-AAA before Friday's victory.
Freshman Johnna Beeh- ner scored her lowest nine-hole round of the season, as she carded an even-par 37.
Senior Katie Baran fired a 56. It wasn't her lowest score of the season, but it was below her season average.
Sophomore first-year golfer Kendall Alexander shot a career-best score of 61, while fellow sophomore Ashley Klein added a career-low score of 68.
The 222 ties Gateway's lowest score of the season.
The Gators also shot a 222 in a 215-222 loss to Norwin on Aug. 31 at Cherry Creek Golf Course in Greensburg.
“It feels good to get that first win,” Persin said.
“Hopefully, we can add to that. The girls are excited. We want to use the win as momentum for the rest of the season and into the offseason as we continue to build the program.”
Persin said junior Abigael Semnisky had to withdraw from Friday's match with Fox Chapel after five holes with back issues.
Gateway golfers will compete at the Section 3 individual qualifier Thursday at Saxon Golf Course in Sarver.
The event is 18 holes, and the top five finishers automatically advance to the WPIAL championship tournament on Oct. 1 at 3 Lakes Golf Course (formerly Alcoma) in Penn Hills. A course rating has been established for Saxon, and any golfer within 20 strokes of the course rating will earn a trip to the WPIAL champ- ionship event.
Gateway was scheduled to face Shady Side Academy on Tuesday in a Section 3 match, but bad weather put that match in jeopardy.
The Gators get another crack at Norwin on Friday at 3 p.m. at Murrysville Golf Club.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump