Norwin football prepares to host Latrobe
By Matt Grubba
Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 8:55 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, September 19, 2012
The big play continues to hurt Norwin football.
The Knights led by a touchdown at halftime, but a bad punt snap led to a safety, which put the Norwin defense in a hole and helped McKeesport roar back for a 26-7 win last Friday.
Nick Amendola scored on a 6-yard run to give Norwin (0-3, 0-3) a 7-0 lead, but three scoring runs by McKeesport (1-2, 1-1) quarterback Eddie Stockett and 101 yards rushing for Hodari Christian gave the Tigers the win.
“I think we improved, and I'm disappointed we didn't win,” Norwin coach Art Tragesser said. “We made mistakes in the second half that we didn't in the first half.
“It could have been 14-0 at halftime. It was windy, and we ran our flea-flicker play. Our kid dives and catches it, but if there's no wind, maybe he catches it in stride. We were playing well, and in the end, it took a Division I quarterback (Stockett) to beat us.”
The Knights host Latrobe (1-2, 0-2) this Friday at 7:30 p.m. in a battle between the two winless teams in Quad East Conference play.
“(Latrobe has) a very good quarterback (Logan Cairns) and a good set of running backs,” Tragesser said. “We'll have a big challenge ahead of us if we can't improve on turnovers.”
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pens’ Bylsma: Vitale scratch due to faceoff performance
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Mayoral nominee Peduto plans city hall house-cleaning if he’s elected
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Couple accused of abusing adopted kids moving in with parents
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.