Greensburg Tribune-Review Athletes of the Week: Franklin Regional's Chris Ralph, Belle Vernon's Ashly Gagliardi
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Franklin Regional
Claim to fame: Sophomore Chris Ralph earned a shutout with seven saves for Franklin Regional (5-0-1, 4-0) in a 2-0 win over Norwin in Section 1-AAA action Sept. 13. Ralph, who has allowed two goals this season, also made nine saves in a 1-0 win over Penn-Trafford.
“I give a lot of the credit to my teammates,” Ralph said.
What's it like to be a sophomore starting on varsity?
It's a lot different. However, I have played with Olympic Development and Club teams, so it kind of matches.
How does the team stack up in the section?
I think we have a good chance to be the top team.
What was your favorite part of your summer?
I went to a soccer camp at Robert Morris University with my Penn-Trafford friend. I got a lot out of it.
School: Belle Vernon
Claim to fame: Junior Ashly Gagliardi has recorded five shutouts, including a 14-save effort in a 1-0 win over South Park in Section 4-AA action Sept. 10, snapping the Eagles' 66-game section win streak. Gagliardi has allowed one goal this season for the Leopards (6-0, 3-0).
“Going into the South Park game, I was really nervous,” she said. “We knew we could beat them going into the season.”
What did you work on over the offseason?
I started playing goal as a sophomore. I broke my ankle, so I had to work on getting back into shape to pass the conditioning test.
How do you keep yourself engaged in the game?
It's hard to stay in the game when you get one or two shots in the game. But I keep in the game by communicating with my teammates.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Rutherford falling apart, too
- Full basketball court to return to White Oak playground
- Liberty asks diocese not to close church
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat
- Rangers clip Penguins, take 2-1 series lead
- LaBar: WWE bans finishing move of top star
- Avonmore man jailed on charges of stealing three cars Sunday
- Mon-Yough authorities investigate heroin, Fentanyl overdoses
- Steelers receiver Brown skipping voluntary offseason workouts
- Question Armstrong County candidates at forum in Manor
- McKeesport’s Auberle honors its all-stars at banquet