Greensburg Tribune-Review Athletes of the Week: Franklin Regional's Chris Ralph, Belle Vernon's Ashly Gagliardi
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Franklin Regional
Claim to fame: Sophomore Chris Ralph earned a shutout with seven saves for Franklin Regional (5-0-1, 4-0) in a 2-0 win over Norwin in Section 1-AAA action Sept. 13. Ralph, who has allowed two goals this season, also made nine saves in a 1-0 win over Penn-Trafford.
“I give a lot of the credit to my teammates,” Ralph said.
What's it like to be a sophomore starting on varsity?
It's a lot different. However, I have played with Olympic Development and Club teams, so it kind of matches.
How does the team stack up in the section?
I think we have a good chance to be the top team.
What was your favorite part of your summer?
I went to a soccer camp at Robert Morris University with my Penn-Trafford friend. I got a lot out of it.
School: Belle Vernon
Claim to fame: Junior Ashly Gagliardi has recorded five shutouts, including a 14-save effort in a 1-0 win over South Park in Section 4-AA action Sept. 10, snapping the Eagles' 66-game section win streak. Gagliardi has allowed one goal this season for the Leopards (6-0, 3-0).
“Going into the South Park game, I was really nervous,” she said. “We knew we could beat them going into the season.”
What did you work on over the offseason?
I started playing goal as a sophomore. I broke my ankle, so I had to work on getting back into shape to pass the conditioning test.
How do you keep yourself engaged in the game?
It's hard to stay in the game when you get one or two shots in the game. But I keep in the game by communicating with my teammates.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Crosby understands NHL’s reasoning for ban
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Wilkinsburg man killed in his apartment
- Chartiers Valley displays shooting touch in blowout win over USC
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Pittsburgh to consider measure to give city employees 6 weeks of paid parental leave
- 3-D images to help police in Western Pa. navigate terror, hostage scenes
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Panthers drop heartbreaker in overtime to Virginia Tech