Greensburg Tribune-Review Athletes of the Week: Franklin Regional’s Chris Ralph, Belle Vernon’s Ashly Gagliardi
By Andrew John
Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, September 19, 2012
School: Franklin Regional
Claim to fame: Sophomore Chris Ralph earned a shutout with seven saves for Franklin Regional (5-0-1, 4-0) in a 2-0 win over Norwin in Section 1-AAA action Sept. 13. Ralph, who has allowed two goals this season, also made nine saves in a 1-0 win over Penn-Trafford.
“I give a lot of the credit to my teammates,” Ralph said.
What's it like to be a sophomore starting on varsity?
It's a lot different. However, I have played with Olympic Development and Club teams, so it kind of matches.
How does the team stack up in the section?
I think we have a good chance to be the top team.
What was your favorite part of your summer?
I went to a soccer camp at Robert Morris University with my Penn-Trafford friend. I got a lot out of it.
School: Belle Vernon
Claim to fame: Junior Ashly Gagliardi has recorded five shutouts, including a 14-save effort in a 1-0 win over South Park in Section 4-AA action Sept. 10, snapping the Eagles' 66-game section win streak. Gagliardi has allowed one goal this season for the Leopards (6-0, 3-0).
“Going into the South Park game, I was really nervous,” she said. “We knew we could beat them going into the season.”
What did you work on over the offseason?
I started playing goal as a sophomore. I broke my ankle, so I had to work on getting back into shape to pass the conditioning test.
How do you keep yourself engaged in the game?
It's hard to stay in the game when you get one or two shots in the game. But I keep in the game by communicating with my teammates.
— Andrew John
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- ACC-bound Pitt finds itself without natural football rivals
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Depth is key for Planets’ success
- Former Charleroi pastor indicted on child pornography charge
- I-70 to reopen after crash in Westmoreland
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Mt. Washington’s Grandview Avenue isn’t looking so great these days
- Police: Man escapes car hit by train in East Deer
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.