Pittsburgh Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Upper St. Clair's Grant Engel, Moon's Christine Barthen
TribLIVE Sports Videos
School: Upper St. Clair
Claim to fame: Engel shot a 4-under-par 32 for Upper St. Clair in its 177-195 Section 7-AAA win against Canon-McMillan at Lindenwood on Thursday. He shot a 34 in a 187-193 win over Bethel Park on Sept. 10 and a 36 in a 180-197 win over West Allegheny on Sept. 11 at St. Clair Country Club.
How much confidence did you gain from putting together three solid performances last week?
It meant a lot to the team. ... It gave me the confidence that we are a very solid team, and there's no reason why we shouldn't be in the running for the state championship this year.
How good is the Upper St. Clair golf team this year?
All of our starting six players are juniors, so we're a young and very strong team. For the next couple of years, we'll be in a very high position in the state.
Claim to fame: Barthen scored four goals for No. 4-ranked Moon in the Tigers' 12-0 rout of South Fayette on Sept. 12. She also had a goal in a 9-0 win over West Allegheny on Sept. 10.
“So far, she's played very well with the ball and has really seen the field well,” coach Bill Pfeifer said.
How big was it for your confidence to have a couple of big games last week?
It was exciting, especially because it was a section game, so that made it even better. It was cool because in the South Fayette game, one of the girls is on my Cup team.
What did you do in the South Fayette game to score four goals?
I took two free kicks and two goals came off corner kicks. So they were set plays. As a defender that's really the only way for me to get in the zone.
— Brian Graham
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- On the border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- Western Pennsylvania workers’ names echo different career paths
- Pitt notebook: Panthers defense responds to questions with shutout
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job