Norwin snaps 13-game losing streak
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Norwin Knights are finally back in the win column.
Norwin (1-3, 1-3) broke a 12-game regular season losing streak — 13 including a playoff loss in 2010 — by defeating Latrobe, 27-14, at Norwin Stadium on Friday night in a Quad East matchup.
The victory was Norwin's first since defeating Penn-Trafford on Oct. 29, 2010.
“It feels good to get these kids a win,” Norwin coach Art Tragesser said.
Freshman quarterback Nick Amendola led the way for Norwin, scoring on a 2-yard run late in the second quarter to put the Knights up, 7-0.
Amendola followed with a 52-yard run on the fourth play of the second half, setting up Casey Rebsoky's 17-yard touchdown run 1:40 into the third quarter.
Trailing 14-0, Latrobe (1-3, 0-3) tried to make comeback. Senior quarterback Logan Carns scored on a 30-yard touchdown run with 1:15 remaining in the third quarter.
But Norwin had an answer. On the first play after the ensuing kickoff, Kyle Baum ran 73 yards for a touchdown to put Norwin back up by two scores, 21-7.
When Latrobe's Robert Vaskinko cut the lead to 21-14 with a 1-yard touchdown run in the fourth, Rebosky answered with an 80-yard touchdown run two plays later.
After letting a 7-0 lead slip away against McKeesport last week, Norwin was eager to put the game out of reach.
“That was definitely on our minds,” said Rebosky, who finished with eight catches for 102 yards. “We kept saying, ‘Not like McKeesport. Not again.' ”
Latrobe coach Ray Reitz credited Norwin's effort for the victory.
“Norwin deserved to win this game,” Reitz said. “I don't like to lose. But if I have to, I'm glad it was to (Art Tragesser).”
Ray Judy is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Policy to suspend employees with felony charges does not apply to Kane
- Starkey: Burnett writing incredible final chapter
- House explodes in North Braddock
- Federal, Indiana authorities raid home of Subway spokesman
- Warrant issued for former Munhall borough manager after failing to appear for trial
- Officials: F-16, small plane collide in midair over South Carolina
- Alvarez’s walk-off single lifts Pirates over Padres
- Crazy Mocha owner likes comfort, says shrewd decisions foster growth
- Pair charged with prostitution-related offenses in South Greensburg
- Pennsylvania court rules police videos can be public records
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game