Carlynton girls tennis looking for spot in WPIAL Class AA team playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Carlynton girl girls tennis coach James Glaser has a bold statement about his 2012 squad — they are the best team he has coached during his eight years with the Lady Cougars.
“We have come a long way,” Glaser said. “This team has the best record since I have been coaching.”
The top singles player is freshman Hannah Phillips. The youngster competed at the WPIAL Class AA tournament after finishing third in the Section 5-AA tourney.
“She has had a lot of pro lessons and tournament experience,” Glaser said. “She is mature for her age.”
In second singles is sophomore Ayla Kennelly, a player Glaser said has worked hard to improve her game.
Third singles is team captain senior Rachel Hedgers, who placed fourth at the Section 5-AA tournament last season.
“She has been on the team for four years and has worked really hard,” Glaser said.
In doubles action, sophomore Sarah Mannes and junior Lauren Vogliano make up the first team. Juniors Jessica Rave and Madigan Greiner play No. 2.
“Both teams have won some tight matches,” Glaser said. “Each team is at least .500.”
With a 6-3 mark entering the final stretch, the team is on the verge of qualifying for the Class AA team tournament, something that hasn't been done at Carlynton in more than a decade.
“We are in third,” Glaser said. “South Park is in first and undefeated like they normally are. Thomas Jefferson is second. If we continue to play well, we should make it as the third team.”
Carlynton returns to the court Monday when it hosts Thomas Jefferson.
Nathan Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-388-5813.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- 2 wounded in Munhall, Homestead drive-by shootings
- Armstrong inmate escapee charged with murdering family matriarch
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Red Onion reunion possibly the last for Hempfield coal mining village
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson