Road to 60: Clairton the bully of Black Hills
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Up next: Fort Cherry (2-2), 7:30 p.m., Friday
Winning streaks: Clairton 51, Central Bucks West 59
Clairton is back to being the bully of the Black Hills Conference, averaging 52 points the past three games.
The 52-7 victory at previously undefeated Monessen last Thursday night marked the 19th time in its 51-game winning streak that Clairton scored 50 points or more in a game.
Overshadowed in the WPIAL record-setting streak is Clairton's defensive dominance. The Bears have held opponents to single digits 45 times, with 27 shutouts.
The defense has not only been oppressive but opportunistic. Devonte Harvey's fumble recovery at the Monessen 15 set up one touchdown, and Tyus Booker scored after recovering a bad snap at the 7-yard line.
Clairton is giving new meaning to Bad News Bears.
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Rossi: History beckons for Seattle’s Seahawks
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Springdale trestle bridge deemed structurally sound
- January temperatures, snowfall unremarkable in Western Pennsylvania
- CMU software eases task of mining prostitution ads
- Westmoreland museum spotlights artist John Kane’s late-in-life fame
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Alle-Kiski Valley deemed medically underserved
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- New Kensington woman struck by vehicle, injured