Road to 60: Clairton the bully of Black Hills
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Up next: Fort Cherry (2-2), 7:30 p.m., Friday
Winning streaks: Clairton 51, Central Bucks West 59
Clairton is back to being the bully of the Black Hills Conference, averaging 52 points the past three games.
The 52-7 victory at previously undefeated Monessen last Thursday night marked the 19th time in its 51-game winning streak that Clairton scored 50 points or more in a game.
Overshadowed in the WPIAL record-setting streak is Clairton's defensive dominance. The Bears have held opponents to single digits 45 times, with 27 shutouts.
The defense has not only been oppressive but opportunistic. Devonte Harvey's fumble recovery at the Monessen 15 set up one touchdown, and Tyus Booker scored after recovering a bad snap at the 7-yard line.
Clairton is giving new meaning to Bad News Bears.
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Flyers continue mastery of Penguins at Consol
- Highmark seeks double-digit increase for more benefits, heavy use
- Wanted sex offender caught hiding in homemade fort in Washington County
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Cops: Washington County surplus store sold stolen items
- Officials identify witness to Port Authority bus crash after releasing photo
- WPIAL, coaches are still looking to schedule Week 9 rivalry games
- Canadians more fearful, aware after ‘very rare’ attack in Ottawa
- Corbett rips Wolf tax proposals during Hempfield campaign stop
- Motorist in Downtown mishap, passenger arrested on drug charges