Road to 60: Clairton the bully of Black Hills
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Thursday, Sept. 27, 2012, 1:09 a.m.
Up next: Fort Cherry (2-2), 7:30 p.m., Friday
Winning streaks: Clairton 51, Central Bucks West 59
Clairton is back to being the bully of the Black Hills Conference, averaging 52 points the past three games.
The 52-7 victory at previously undefeated Monessen last Thursday night marked the 19th time in its 51-game winning streak that Clairton scored 50 points or more in a game.
Overshadowed in the WPIAL record-setting streak is Clairton's defensive dominance. The Bears have held opponents to single digits 45 times, with 27 shutouts.
The defense has not only been oppressive but opportunistic. Devonte Harvey's fumble recovery at the Monessen 15 set up one touchdown, and Tyus Booker scored after recovering a bad snap at the 7-yard line.
Clairton is giving new meaning to Bad News Bears.
— Kevin Gorman
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- UPMC: As many as 27,000 employees affected in data breach
- Allegheny Township supervisors agree to rezone land for farming
- Bullied South Fayette student’s case prompts wiretap overhaul legislation
- Kovacevic: Panic over Pirates? In April?
- Avonmore parents enter child with genetic disorder in contest for wheelchair-accessible van
- New Kensington police decline to identify stabbing victims amid investigation
- Work on tournament-class dek hockey rink in Bloomfield to begin
- Scientists achieve cloning advance for use in treating diseases
- Court upholds EPA emissions restrictions
- Undersized rookie Gibbons is blur on ice for Penguins
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates