Trib HS Insider Q&A: Penn-Trafford's Dorian Stevens
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Football isn't just a game to Dorian Stevens. It's a passion.
“Ever since I was little, I liked to play football,” said Stevens, Penn-Trafford's first-year senior quarterback. “It's a passion I can't live without.”
In his third season at Penn-Trafford, Stevens is figuring out the transition from wide receiver to QB, and his latest showing proves it.
After struggling to find the range in the first three games (two victories and one loss), Steven produced his best showing with 241 yards of total offense in Penn-Trafford's 28-14 victory over McKeesport on Friday. He completed 9 of 14 passes for 173 yards and one touchdown and rushed for 68 yards and two scores, with an apparent third having been nullified by a penalty.
Q: For whatever reason, there hadn't been much success throwing the ball until last weekend. What changed?
A: My linemen are starting to come together. It's amazing. Those are five guys who hadn't played together as a unit in varsity games before. Those guys are brand new. They're coming together and protecting me. I only got sacked one time.
Q: How much of an impact does it have on a team to beat a school with a strong football tradition such as McKeesport?
A: We came into the season and started to prepare for the teams with tradition. We're trying to get in the mix. Beating a team like McKeesport means a lot. It gives you momentum. Even though it wasn't a playoff game, it felt like one.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: I love quarterbacks like Cam Newton. He can run, and he can pass. I've always liked Peyton Manning for the way he controls the offense and calls plays at the line. Those two are inspirations for me at quarterback.
Q: What are some of your interests outside of school?
A: I like to hang out with my friends. I want to get my schoolwork done, obviously. I like to play basketball at the school or the park. I just love sports in general.
Q: Do you have an idea what you'd like to do when you leave Penn-Trafford?
A: I would like to play a sport — mainly football — in college, and I'd like to study biology.
Dave Mackall is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bomb plot trial ends in Saudi’s conviction
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins’ competition among bottom six
- Sophomore stars carry Beaver Falls to 3rd finals appearance in 4 seasons
- WPIAL finalists feature skilled scorers, playmakers on perimeter
- Trib Cup: South Park girls look ahead to PIAA tournament
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Few in Westmoreland County opposed to expansion plan for Mariner pipeline
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon boys oust Hempfield
- Move to Canon-McMillan means less travel for wrestlers headed to Southwest Regional
- High school notebook: Armstrong, Freeport know playoff opponents
- Late-blooming Penn Hills girls restoring WPIAL championship glory