Trib HS Insider Q&A: Penn-Trafford's Dorian Stevens
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Football isn't just a game to Dorian Stevens. It's a passion.
“Ever since I was little, I liked to play football,” said Stevens, Penn-Trafford's first-year senior quarterback. “It's a passion I can't live without.”
In his third season at Penn-Trafford, Stevens is figuring out the transition from wide receiver to QB, and his latest showing proves it.
After struggling to find the range in the first three games (two victories and one loss), Steven produced his best showing with 241 yards of total offense in Penn-Trafford's 28-14 victory over McKeesport on Friday. He completed 9 of 14 passes for 173 yards and one touchdown and rushed for 68 yards and two scores, with an apparent third having been nullified by a penalty.
Q: For whatever reason, there hadn't been much success throwing the ball until last weekend. What changed?
A: My linemen are starting to come together. It's amazing. Those are five guys who hadn't played together as a unit in varsity games before. Those guys are brand new. They're coming together and protecting me. I only got sacked one time.
Q: How much of an impact does it have on a team to beat a school with a strong football tradition such as McKeesport?
A: We came into the season and started to prepare for the teams with tradition. We're trying to get in the mix. Beating a team like McKeesport means a lot. It gives you momentum. Even though it wasn't a playoff game, it felt like one.
Q: Who's your favorite athlete?
A: I love quarterbacks like Cam Newton. He can run, and he can pass. I've always liked Peyton Manning for the way he controls the offense and calls plays at the line. Those two are inspirations for me at quarterback.
Q: What are some of your interests outside of school?
A: I like to hang out with my friends. I want to get my schoolwork done, obviously. I like to play basketball at the school or the park. I just love sports in general.
Q: Do you have an idea what you'd like to do when you leave Penn-Trafford?
A: I would like to play a sport — mainly football — in college, and I'd like to study biology.
Dave Mackall is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers rookie says Sam, his former roommate, has changed
- Fire victim’s ex-boyfriend jumps from Tarentum Bridge
- Steelers aim to create more turnovers this year with speedier defense
- Rossi: Buying trust is a must for Pirates
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- Steelers notebook: Shoulder pads get technological boost for Ravens game
- Roundup: Huntington Bancshares to cut 200 jobs; Kennametal posts drop in 1Q profit; more
- Locke gets rocked as Pirates are knocked off by Diamondbacks
- Sewickley Township fraud case reopens old wound for New Stanton woman
- Ex-cop from Irwin gets jail for drug sales while posing as officer
- Steel Valley Shool District considers measures to bus students