Two Norwin girls teams suffer first losses
Norwin's second-ranked girls soccer team fell into a three-way tie atop Section 1-AAA with its first loss of the year, 2-0, at home against Penn-Trafford on Monday.
Karina Wallace scored in the first half for the Warriors (7-3-0, 5-1-0) and Elizabeth Buck added an insurance goal in the 73rd minute after P-T won a indirect free kick inside the Norwin (7-1-1, 5-1-0) penalty area.
The Knights and Warriors are tied with Franklin Regional for first place in the section.
Norwin split a pair of Section 1-AAA volleyball matches last week, the second of which was the team's first section loss of the season.
The Knights defeated Kiski Area, 25-13, 25-20, 23-25, 25-13, but fell to Latrobe, 25-22, 25-23, 25-23, which put Norwin (7-2, 5-1) in a tie for second in the section entering this week.
Also of note was the donation of the 50/50 at the Kiski Area match to the Flourescent Angels, a Relay for Life fund in memory of former Norwin assistant coach Jaime Moran, who lost her battle with leukemia earlier this year. The winner of the 50/50 also donated the winnings to the fun.
Baseball golf outing
Norwin baseball's annual golf outing, a 1 p.m. shotgun start, is Oct. 13 at Madison Golf Club.
Cost to participate is $100 for adults and $69 for youths, which included golf, prizes, refreshments at the turn and an Italian dinner buffet.
For more information on registering to play or being a sponsor, contact Tom Smith at 724-396-0701 or Jane Pribanic at 412-860-5341. The registration deadline is Oct. 5.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Serra Catholic boys soccer team loses WPIAL 1st-round game to Avonworth, 1-0
- Connellsville falls to Seneca Valley in first-round soccer playoff game
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal