McKeesport rallies past Altoona on late TD
By Jim Lane
Published: Saturday, September 29, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
ALTOONA — Ed Stockett's 30-yard touchdown pass to Marqua Perdue with 2:29 left lifted McKeesport to an 18-14 win over Altoona in a WPIAL Quad East game Friday night at Mansion Park.
Now 2-3 overall, McKeesport trailed 14-0 before rallying to pull out the win. Altoona suffered its fourth straight loss and fell to 1-4.
“We made one more play than they did,” McKeesport coach Jim Ward said.
“We seemed to be in the red zone countless times and came away with no points, but hat's off to Altoona, because they kept us out of the end zone for the most part.”
Altoona scored with less than three minutes gone in the game when Brennan Luciano tossed an 11-yard TD pass to Colby Fink. Luciano scored on a 1-yard quarterback sneak to give the Mountain Lions a 14-0 lead with 25 seconds left in the half.
However, McKeesport's Devon Anderson returned the ensuing kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown and that turned out to be a big momentum swing.
“That was huge,” Ward said. “It really sparked us, and we were able to establish some things in the second half and keep them off the scoreboard.”
Stockett and Jamie Grayson teamed up for a 30-yard scoring strike late in the third quarter to pull the Tigers within 14-12. The Stockett-Perdue combo came up with the game-winner after the running of fullback Hodari Christian moved the ball into Altoona territory.
Jim Lane is a freelance writer.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at crime scene
- Cheswick Council agrees to buy firetruck
- Chamber to become regional with merger
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Highmark to extend self-insurance plans to small businesses
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Conrad, Phillips share Daily News Softball Coach of Year honors
- Burrell approves tax increase of about 2%
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.