Ligonier boys' soccer team picks up first win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ligonier boys' soccer team finished in fourth-place at the Ligonier Valley School Invitational, losing 4-0 to Greater Latrobe Area High School. They grabbed their first victory of the season, winning 7-5 against United High School later that day. The Rams also lost back-to-back games at Central Cambria and Conemaugh Township High Schools last week.
In the match versus United, the Lions scored twice in the first 15 minutes. Justin Hugo scored two minutes later and Jake Nemeth leveled the scores in the 25th-minute. United again went ahead 31 minutes into the game countered by a goal from Robbie Adams a minute later. Ligonier took the lead into the half with a goal from Ethan Brown in the 37th-minute and they never surrendered it.
Zack Yeskey scored for Ligonier in the 46th-minute, though United attempted to mount a comeback, scoring three minutes later. Zack Homyak again put the Rams ahead by two in the 57th-minute, followed in the 77th-minute by a second goal from Robbie Adams. United scored a consolation goal in the 78th-minute, making the final score 7-5.
Against Central Cambria, Homyak opened the scoring for Ligonier in the 14th-minute, a lead the Rams took into the half. In the second half, Cambria scored in the 53rd- and 55th-minutes. Jake Nemeth equalized two minutes later, though the Rams lost after Cambria scored in the 73rd-minute to snag a 3-2 win against the Rams.
Carlos Chavez scored early for the Rams, giving them the edge at halftime over Conemaugh. However, Conemaugh scored in the 63rd- minute, then took the game with a late goal in the 78th-minute to win 2-1.
Peter Turcik is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roundup: Citizens bank parent says 6-month profit doubles; Former Heinz CEO leaving EDMC board; more
- Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board suspends in-store tastings
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Grand opening of West Kittanning community building will merge past, present
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- Export-Import Bank in dispute in Congress
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Jefferson Hospital doctor serves as panelist for mental health legislation