Prospect watch: Bishop Canevin's Mike Dunn
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 225 pounds, LB, Bishop Canevin
Mike Dunn tied the Bishop Canevin school record for career tackles as a junior, so every stop he makes this season is simply putting that mark further out of reach.
As a junior, Dunn recorded 148 tackles in 12 games — including six sacks and 21 tackles for loss — to earn Class A all-state honors.
“And we're stingy,” Crusaders coach Bob Jacoby said. “You just can't be near the pile or fall on the pile.”
At middle linebacker, Dunn gets to show his nose for the ball carrier. His physique, however, could allow him to grow into another position. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds and projects as a potential outside linebacker or rush end.
Dunn is receiving interest from FCS programs such as Bucknell and Youngstown State and also is hearing from Mid-American Conference schools.
“I'm physical and I get to the ball pretty quick,” Dunn said. “I've been playing middle linebacker since first grade. It just seemed to always be my thing.”
A three-year starter, Dunn had 58 stops, four sacks and nine TFLs through the first five games for Bishop Canevin this fall. He helped contain Monessen quarterback Chavas Rawlins, a West Virginia recruit, from the perimeter by making 15 tackles.
“He's a student of defense,” Jacoby said. “He has the freedom to make all the calls on the field. He reads the offense well, can get to the off-tackle hole but has great pursuit to get the wide side, too.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lower Burrell couple charged with 6 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty
- New Kensington dedicates fireworks festivities to longtime coordinator
- Woman accused of prescription scheme
- Pam Porterfield: Church events, family reunions, benefits abound in Fayette County
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- State store relocates to Highlands Mall
- Funeral planned for Connellsville teen who died in crash
- Connellsville fireworks display gets change of site
- Why rock the boat? Seafarer look is timeless and classic this time of year
- Brackenridge gets $98K federal grant to fund waterline project
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers