North Allegheny's Coniker chooses Richmond
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Brendan Coniker had scholarship offers from Mid-American Conference schools, but the North Allegheny star has given a verbal commitment to play football at Division I FCS powerhouse Richmond.
Coniker also had offers from MAC schools Akron, Ohio and Toledo, as well as FCS Delaware and Old Dominion. Richmond is coached by Danny Rocco, whose family is from Fox Chapel, and Coniker was recruited by Spiders linebacker coach Manny Rojas, a former West Allegheny star.
“He went on a visit to Richmond and really enjoyed it,” North Allegheny coach Art Walker said. “He's their top guy, as far as what I'm hearing from them. It's a great opportunity, a good school, a great campus and he loved the atmosphere. He thought Richmond felt right for him and made the commitment.”
The 6-foot-1, 190-pound senior had 29 receptions for 477 yards and nine touchdowns, including a controversial catch against Upper St. Clair in the WPIAL title game at Heinz Field last fall. He was one of only two sophomores to start on the Tigers' 2010 PIAA Class AAAA champions —Michigan recruit Patrick Kugler was the other — and played a starring role as a receiver and cornerback last season.
Kevin Gorman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-320-7812.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Big names highlight Three Rivers Arts Festival’s 2015 musical lineup
- Penguins notebook: Flyers’ success in Pittsburgh stems from power play
- Police investigate pair of fatal rush hour incidents in Shaler, Marshall
- Developer delays renovation plans for Northway Mall
- Monessen police investigating drive-by shooting
- Husband of accused drug-dealing teacher faces his own drug, intimidation charges
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut
- Pa. Supreme Court upholds special prosecutor appointed to investigate leaks from Kane’s office
- Man awaiting trial for offering drugs to 2 teens found hanged in his Belle Vernon home