Night games return to Riverview
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Night athletic events might not become a permanent fixture in Oakmont, but the tradition of lighting Riverside Park a couple of nights each fall will continue.
Riverview will set up 10 portable light pods and host a soccer doubleheader Thursday night. The girls team will play Jeannette at 6 p.m., followed by the Riverview and St. Joseph boys at 8.
On Friday night, the Raiders football team will host Shenango at 7:30 on its homecoming night.
Riverside Park's decades-old tradition of Saturday afternoon football games still holds a special place in the community's heart, but lighting the lamps for a few games each year has become a sort of novelty.
“Over the last several years, we have had gate receipts that double the typical amounts for equivalent daytime games,” Riverview athletic director Bob Kariotis said. “The Oakmont/Verona community really does a great job in coming out to support our kids at our annual ‘Nights Under the Lights' events.”
Riverview has been hosting night games with temporary lighting each fall since 2006.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- Saudi-led attacks seen as escalating violence in Yemen
- Rossi: Time for NCAA to forget late tourney starts
- Stop foreign dumping, U.S. Steel CEO Longhi tells Congress
- Barry Manilow plays Pittsburgh ‘one last time’
- West Virginia women oust Duquesne from WNIT
- IUP races to spot in Division II championship game
- Penguins notebook: Staal insists he never asked for trade to Penguins
- New Ken man ‘holed up’ in house
- Penn Hills junior slain in shooting had visited friends at Monroeville housing complex