Night games return to Riverview
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Night athletic events might not become a permanent fixture in Oakmont, but the tradition of lighting Riverside Park a couple of nights each fall will continue.
Riverview will set up 10 portable light pods and host a soccer doubleheader Thursday night. The girls team will play Jeannette at 6 p.m., followed by the Riverview and St. Joseph boys at 8.
On Friday night, the Raiders football team will host Shenango at 7:30 on its homecoming night.
Riverside Park's decades-old tradition of Saturday afternoon football games still holds a special place in the community's heart, but lighting the lamps for a few games each year has become a sort of novelty.
“Over the last several years, we have had gate receipts that double the typical amounts for equivalent daytime games,” Riverview athletic director Bob Kariotis said. “The Oakmont/Verona community really does a great job in coming out to support our kids at our annual ‘Nights Under the Lights' events.”
Riverview has been hosting night games with temporary lighting each fall since 2006.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- RMU men win, clinch 2nd seed in NEC Tournament
- Penguins notebook: Shootouts becoming a concern
- Baylor downs West Virginia, sweeps season series
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Western Pa. nonprofits roll dice on casino company grants
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Protesters demonstrate against Mt. Lebanon deer culling program
- ‘Phantom’ breezes into Laurel Highlands High School
- Undefeated Aliquippa downs Seton-La Salle for WPIAL Class AA title
- St. Bonaventure cruises past Duquesne