Night games return to Riverview
By Bill Beckner Jr.
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012, 9:20 p.m.
Night athletic events might not become a permanent fixture in Oakmont, but the tradition of lighting Riverside Park a couple of nights each fall will continue.
Riverview will set up 10 portable light pods and host a soccer doubleheader Thursday night. The girls team will play Jeannette at 6 p.m., followed by the Riverview and St. Joseph boys at 8.
On Friday night, the Raiders football team will host Shenango at 7:30 on its homecoming night.
Riverside Park's decades-old tradition of Saturday afternoon football games still holds a special place in the community's heart, but lighting the lamps for a few games each year has become a sort of novelty.
“Over the last several years, we have had gate receipts that double the typical amounts for equivalent daytime games,” Riverview athletic director Bob Kariotis said. “The Oakmont/Verona community really does a great job in coming out to support our kids at our annual ‘Nights Under the Lights' events.”
Riverview has been hosting night games with temporary lighting each fall since 2006.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mets 1B Davis
- Pittsburgh-area students on the hunt for the perfect prom dress
- Crews search for Latrobe woman in Linn Run State Park
- Hempfield native, 22, publishes with local independent press
- Man found fatally shot in Larimer a mile away from Homewood peace march
- Donald turns down New York invite for NFL Draft
- Sculpture at Phipps links art and sustainability
- City Theatre cancels ‘Grounded’ through April 20
- Survivors in critical condition a day after fifth Armstrong County car crash victim dies
- Chat with Dejan Kovacevic: April 18, 2014
- NBA commissioner Silver makes raising age limit a priority