Burrell wins showdown with Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A matchup of two of the A-K Valley's top boys soccer teams didn't disappoint Saturday as Burrell edged Springdale, 2-1, in a nonsection game that had a playoff feel.
Tom Spagnolo scored on a corner kick by Corey Mazary midway through the second half, and Class AA No. 5 Burrell (12-0-1) edged Class A No. 4 Springdale (11-2).
Springdale took a 1-0 lead on a goal by Will Noble early in the second half. But Burrell's Andrew Stewart scored the equalizer.
“Springdale is a great team,” Burrell coach T.J. Trozzi said. “They will do well in the playoffs. This was a good game to get us ready for the postseason.”
Kiski Area 2, Penn-Trafford 0 — Brandon Smail's four-save shutout helped the Cavaliers (9-2-2, 7-1-1) keep pace with Section 1-AAA leader Franklin Regional (10-1-2, 8-1-1).
Matt Dziadosz registered a goal and an assist for Kiski Area. He is tied with Dakota Lange — who assisted on Dziadosz's goal — for the team lead in both scoring categories with six goals and five assists.
Plum 7, McKeesport 0 — Shane Rings scored three goals and was one of five players to find the net for Plum (6-4-2) in a nonsection victory over the Tigers (1-12).
Plum 3, Woodland Hills 0 — Aaliyah Odom scored twice and assisted on a goal by Nicolette Casarcia as Plum (7-5-2, 5-3-2) won a Section 3-AAA game over Woodland Hills (2-11, 0-11).
Girls cross country
Riverview takes fourth — Riverview was the top Class A finisher at the 14-team Grove City Invitational. Freshman Molly Kennedy took fourth overall (20:39).
Riverview's top seven girls all are underclassmen.
Plum finished third.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Suspect in McKeesport home invasion arrested in Toledo
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Former Gateway coach Smith is ‘perfect fit’ for Penn State football staff
- LaBar: Cesaro is WWE’s next Cinderella story
- Observers mixed on grid backup amid carbon rules, natural gas uncertainty
- Confident rookie quarterback Manziel erratic early with Browns