Burrell wins showdown with Springdale
By Staff Reports
Published: Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012, 11:26 p.m.
A matchup of two of the A-K Valley's top boys soccer teams didn't disappoint Saturday as Burrell edged Springdale, 2-1, in a nonsection game that had a playoff feel.
Tom Spagnolo scored on a corner kick by Corey Mazary midway through the second half, and Class AA No. 5 Burrell (12-0-1) edged Class A No. 4 Springdale (11-2).
Springdale took a 1-0 lead on a goal by Will Noble early in the second half. But Burrell's Andrew Stewart scored the equalizer.
“Springdale is a great team,” Burrell coach T.J. Trozzi said. “They will do well in the playoffs. This was a good game to get us ready for the postseason.”
Kiski Area 2, Penn-Trafford 0 — Brandon Smail's four-save shutout helped the Cavaliers (9-2-2, 7-1-1) keep pace with Section 1-AAA leader Franklin Regional (10-1-2, 8-1-1).
Matt Dziadosz registered a goal and an assist for Kiski Area. He is tied with Dakota Lange — who assisted on Dziadosz's goal — for the team lead in both scoring categories with six goals and five assists.
Plum 7, McKeesport 0 — Shane Rings scored three goals and was one of five players to find the net for Plum (6-4-2) in a nonsection victory over the Tigers (1-12).
Plum 3, Woodland Hills 0 — Aaliyah Odom scored twice and assisted on a goal by Nicolette Casarcia as Plum (7-5-2, 5-3-2) won a Section 3-AAA game over Woodland Hills (2-11, 0-11).
Girls cross country
Riverview takes fourth — Riverview was the top Class A finisher at the 14-team Grove City Invitational. Freshman Molly Kennedy took fourth overall (20:39).
Riverview's top seven girls all are underclassmen.
Plum finished third.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Armstrong County crash
- Astronomers find most Earth-like planet yet
- Rice cornerback among 3 draft prospects to visit Steelers
- NHL notebook: Blues begin series without T.J. Oshie
- UPMC: As many as 27,000 employees affected in data breach
- Kovacevic: Bylsma’s moves — yes, moves — pay off
- Pirates notebook: Tabata OK’d to return to play
- Former Steelers player appeals court ruling on Shadyside event venue
- Franklin Regional seeks waiver of days lost in knife attack; victim improves
- Obama’s budget plan wildly off, CBO says
- Another arrest made in abduction of N.C. prosecutor’s father