Franklin Regional, Penn-Trafford tennis teams advance to WPIAL tournaments
By Matt Grubba
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, December 22, 2012
Franklin Regional freshman Natalia Perry made a splash in this year's WPIAL singles tournament, but none of the local teams had the same luck in doubles.
Perry and senior teammate Lauren Bailey advanced to the quarterfinals of the WPIAL Class AAA doubles tournament, which was the deepest progression of any of the Section 1-AAA pairs last Thursday at Norwin.
Despite being section champs, Perry and Bailey were seeded seventh for the district tournament, which pitted them against 10th-seeded Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe of Peters Township.
Franklin Regional battled through the tough opening match and avoided a tiebreaker by taking the final game for an 11-9 win.
That moved Perry and Bailey into a quarterfinal against North Allegheny's Kylie Isaacs and Maddy Adams — the No. 2 seed.
The Panthers' team had its run end there with a 10-6 defeat.
The other two teams representing Section 1-AAA both were eliminated in the first round.
Penn-Trafford sophomore Charlotte Vertes and senior Alexis Ryan, the section runners-up, were eliminated in their first-round match against Marlys Bridgham and Laura Feger of Pine-Richland, 10-1.
Hempfield's Madison DeBone and Carly Bryan, the section's third-place team, fell in the opening round against Isaacs and Adams, 10-1.
The teams from both section-champion Franklin Regional and Penn-Trafford will be in the WPIAL Class AAA team tournament, which was scheduled to begin as early as today.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: The smartest man in hockey
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
- Behind Crosby’s hat trick, Penguins sneak past Senators
- Organization helps cancer-stricken mother see her kids attend prom
- Uniontown man killed in shooting
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Motorcyclist dies after crash in Latrobe
- Indiana County man charged in assault on toddler
- Loyalhanna parents denied contact once baby born
- Pittsburgh officer’s off-duty heroics give toddler chance to live
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.