Franklin Regional, Penn-Trafford tennis teams advance to WPIAL tournaments
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Franklin Regional freshman Natalia Perry made a splash in this year's WPIAL singles tournament, but none of the local teams had the same luck in doubles.
Perry and senior teammate Lauren Bailey advanced to the quarterfinals of the WPIAL Class AAA doubles tournament, which was the deepest progression of any of the Section 1-AAA pairs last Thursday at Norwin.
Despite being section champs, Perry and Bailey were seeded seventh for the district tournament, which pitted them against 10th-seeded Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe of Peters Township.
Franklin Regional battled through the tough opening match and avoided a tiebreaker by taking the final game for an 11-9 win.
That moved Perry and Bailey into a quarterfinal against North Allegheny's Kylie Isaacs and Maddy Adams — the No. 2 seed.
The Panthers' team had its run end there with a 10-6 defeat.
The other two teams representing Section 1-AAA both were eliminated in the first round.
Penn-Trafford sophomore Charlotte Vertes and senior Alexis Ryan, the section runners-up, were eliminated in their first-round match against Marlys Bridgham and Laura Feger of Pine-Richland, 10-1.
Hempfield's Madison DeBone and Carly Bryan, the section's third-place team, fell in the opening round against Isaacs and Adams, 10-1.
The teams from both section-champion Franklin Regional and Penn-Trafford will be in the WPIAL Class AAA team tournament, which was scheduled to begin as early as today.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Over the falls — Cucumber Falls that is — go 3 kayakers in OhioPyle
- Wolf reverses Corbett, says deal between Highmark, UPMC doesn’t limit continuity of care to very ill
- Weather continues to cause crashes, public transportation delays
- Penguins’ Lovejoy embracing defensive pairing with Pouliot
- Football star’s mom embraced life with gusto
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Federal jury says gas company shorted owners on royalties
- Experts: Clinton took dangerous path with email system
- Hempfield man charged with giving gun to teen girl
- Pitt coach Narduzzi wants star RB Conner to focus on offense