High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland 1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Many Pitt fans endorse move to oust Pederson as athletic director
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- 50 years later, Vietnam vet gets his degree at Westminster
- High school roundup: Norwin wrestling edges rival Penn-Trafford
- Pitt uses 2 2nd-half flurries to hold off Manhattan, 65-56
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates