High school roundup: WPIAL announces soccer pairings
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL released its playoff soccer pairings Wednesday, and the Mt. Pleasant and Southmoreland girls soccer teams will each begin the postseason Saturday.
The Scotties (11-7) and Vikings (11-7) finished tied for second in Section 1-AA. Mt. Pleasant will play South Park at 2 p.m. at Bethel Park. Southmoreland takes on host Belle Vernon in a 4 p.m. match.
The Scotties played the Leopards (15-2-1) earlier this month, and Belle Vernon posted a 3-0 victory. The Vikings played South Park (12-3-1) in the first round of the playoffs last season. South Park won that game, 3-0. Belle Vernon and South Park each finished tied for the best record in Section 4-AA.
The only boys team from the area to qualify for the playoffs was Laurel Highlands. The Mustangs play West Mifflin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Belle Vernon. Laurel Highlands (10-6-2) took third in Section 6-AA. West Mifflin (7-7-2) is the third-place team from Section 3-AA.
Yough 3, Southmoreland 1 — Brianna Bunner had 19 assists and Cindy Severi recorded six kills, but the Scotties (6-10, 4-8) concluded their season with a Section 7-AA loss to host Yough, 23-25, 25-22, 25-17, 25-9.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- Coroner identifies Cranberry woman who died in McConnells Mill fall
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Police: Westmoreland man dead of gunshot had fired at state troopers during pursuit
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Photos offer clue to assailant in fatal North Side Pittsburgh stabbing
- Truck accident closes all inbound lanes of Parkway West
- Bumgarner quiets Blackout crowd with 4-hit shutout