Trib HS Insider Q&A: West Mifflin's Derrick Fulmore
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Derrick Fulmore is a dynamic dual threat for West Mifflin. The 6-foot, 185-pound senior quarterback, a talented three-sport athlete, is averaging more than 27 yards per completion and 10 yards per carry for the undefeated Titans, teaming with WPIAL rushing leader Jimmy Wheeler to form one of the most formidable backfield tandems in the WPIAL.
Q: What makes you dangerous as a runner?
A: When I drop back to pass, if there's pressure and I can get out of the pocket, there's not too many people who can tackle me one on one because I'm elusive and quick.
Q: Who's faster, you or tailback Jimmy Wheeler?
A: He's faster. If you're talking about a 10-yard race, I've got him. I'm quicker than Jimmy. After that, he accelerates.
Q: With such a run-oriented team, do you surprise opponents when you pass?
A: I think we surprise them a lot because they know we're a running team, so when we pass they don't expect it. Sometimes, my arm surprises me. We run a lot, so I usually don't warm up much. Then Coach (Ray) Braszo will call a play, and I have to find some strength to throw the ball.
Q: Which position do you expect to play in college?
A: I'm too small to be a quarterback, so maybe a receiver or somewhere on defense, like safety. I started off playing receiver. I didn't start playing quarterback until ninth grade. I just wanted to try something new. The weirdest thing to me was putting my hands under center, but I'm used to it now.
Q: Have a nickname?
A: At the games, they call me Derrick ‘Dynamite' Fulmore. I like Jimmy's better. They call him Jimmy ‘Hot Wheels' Wheeler. If I was faster, I could get something cool like that. People always ask me why they call me that. I say, ‘Because I'm explosive.'
Q: What do you think about a potential Week 9 game against Thomas Jefferson between undefeateds?
A: There's a chance, but we have to get through Trinity first. They're a good team and you can't take them lightly. (Trinity) beat us last year. That was the first time we beat TJ in a while, and we got a share of the conference. This year, we want to win it ourselves.
Q: What about you would surprise people?
A: I don't think people expect me to be humble, but I am. I'm not a person who showboats or talks about how good I am. I just want to show them what I can do on the field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board suspends in-store tastings
- Roundup: Citizens bank parent says 6-month profit doubles; Former Heinz CEO leaving EDMC board; more
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Jefferson Hospital doctor serves as panelist for mental health legislation
- Grand opening of West Kittanning community building will merge past, present
- Jefferson Hospital names new CEO, president
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback