Shady Side loses see-saw battle with Jeannette
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
In a non-conference battle between two of the top teams in WPIAL Class AA, host Shady Side Academy fell to Jeannette by a 31-26 score Saturday.
The teams traded touchdowns in the first half and the Indians held a 16-15 halftime lead.
Matt Granato fired a pair of touchdown passes, one to Tyrel Hill for 25 yards and another to Chuck Calabrese for nine yards.
Mike Pohl booted a 28-yard field goal.
In the second half, the teams continued to take turns scoring with Pohl nailing a 36-yard field goal in the third quarter to give the Indians a 19-18 lead.
Jeannette answered with a touchdown to take a 25-19 lead into the fourth quarter.
Granato scored on a 15-yard run to put SSA in the lead again, but the final touchdown of the day, a game-winner, was scored by Jeannette.
The Indians will take to the road next and return to Allegheny Conference action against Summit Academy.
Summit fell to Valley, 22-16, last week and sports a 2-5 record overall and is 1-5 in conference play.
“They're a team that can't be taken lightly,” SSA coach Dave Havern said. “They always have athletes and they play hard.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Armstrong County crash
- Kovacevic: Bylsma’s moves — yes, moves — pay off
- Police see no sign Franklin Regional stabbing suspect was bullied
- Penguins rally to escape with a victory in Game 1 against Columbus
- Physical Columbus team is a hit in playoff opener against Penguins
- 5 Operation Pork Chop defendants sentenced to 5 years probation
- Former Pitt captain Cavanaugh blazes trail as entrepreneur
- Mt. Lebanon police investigating morning car crash
- Retired postal worker picks $1M winner
- Veteran North Huntingdon police officer fired
- Former heavyweight champ Tyson enjoying second act