Prospect watch: Woodland Hills' Tom Greene
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 190 pounds, WR-SS, Woodland Hills
When Woodland Hills attended a passing camp at Michigan State this past summer, Spartans coach Mark Dantonio checked out not the Wolverines but their opponent.
He couldn't help but notice Tom Greene.
“We played a team from Detroit, Martin Luther King, that had six Division I players,” Woodland Hills coach George Novak said. “Their secondary was unbelievable looking, and he made them look silly.”
If Greene was then a virtual unknown, he's quickly made a name for himself. He caught only six passes for 56 yards as a junior, when Cincinnati recruit Shakim Alonzo was the team's top target.
Greene has assumed that role this fall and had a team-best 23 receptions for 427 yards (18.6 per) and six touchdowns prior to Friday's game at Peters Township.
“He was in Shakim's shadow last year, but he's having a great year,” said Novak, who noted that Greene also is gaining interest on defense. “We put him at strong safety, and he's had three picks — he ran one back for a touchdown. A lot of coaches want to see him.”
Greene doesn't have scholarship offers yet, but Novak believes it's only a matter of time before a Division I program pulls the trigger on his star receiver-strong safety.
“He could play either,” Novak said. “He's a good tackler. He has great hands, catches the ball with his hands and runs great routes. Everybody double- or triple-teams him. Everybody plays a guy underneath or over top of him, and he's made some unbelievable catches.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B state budget
- Railroad measure awaits House approval
- State’s highest court to take up legality of Wolf moratorium on death penalty
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Trial of man accused of shooting cyclist in Allentown begins
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Wilkinsburg father ordered to have no contact with daughter or her grandmother
- Lawrenceville man charged with rape, child pornography and 27 other sexual offenses
- Spirit Airlines to add daily flights from Latrobe to Chicago O’Hare
- Company proposes building 2 gas-fired power plants in West Virginia
- North Huntingdon man accused of road rage altercation in Westmoreland