Trib HS Insider Q&A: Ford City’s Justin Retzer
By Bill West
Published: Thursday, October 18, 2012, 12:41 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, January 29, 2013
In its search for more playmakers, Ford City found an effective receiving threat in senior Justin Retzer.
After three weeks, Retzer had six catches for just 39 yards. But he became a major contributor in Week 4, when he had a 68-yard touchdown reception and also threw a 20-yard touchdown pass on a trick play.
The 5-foot-10, 180-pound senior, a former running back who switched positions as a senior, finished with a career-high nine receptions for 100 yards last week during the Sabers' 17-10 loss to Burrell.
Q: Was that the game plan going in, to throw all those short passes and screens to you?
A: We were trying to run the ball up the middle and to get the ball to (Devan Willyard), but they were shutting us down. So, then we found out that the stay call was working real well.
Q: How do you feel about plays where you're basically getting the ball at the line of scrimmage?
A: I guess I have a little speed and can move pretty well, but it's not my strength because I'm not a good cutter. If you get me the ball and create a seam, I'll find it and get through it.
Q: You have a good arm — you've shown that as a starter in baseball. Why not play quarterback?
A: Too much to remember. Way too much.
Q: So you've never been tempted to try it?
A: In junior high, I was the backup quarterback, but I didn't really like it. I wasn't up to it because I was nervous, and I didn't want to screw up since I'd never done it before.
Q: You buy flavored mouth guards, correct? What's the best flavor, and how many flavors have you had?
A: Fruit punch, definitely. I've had two flavors so far. I had mint before, but after a while, it didn't taste too good. Fruit punch lasts forever.
Q: On the topic of tastes: What do you get at Sheetz? They're located everywhere in Armstrong County.
A: Before every practice, every day, I get two hot dogs with ketchup and mustard.
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- Police search around home of Patriots’ star Hernandez for 2nd day
- Billy Price has lots of help to keep him staying ‘Strong’
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says offense needs to get rolling
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- NHL notebook: Flyers set to release Briere
- Eli Young Band enjoying the ride
- Pixar goes live with Pittsburgh Orchestra
- Singer, songwriter comes back to Pittsburgh for Sunday evening performance
- Bethel Park couple sue contractor in federal court
- Center brings big guns to Gettysburg exhibit
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.