Trib HS Insider Q&A: Ford City's Justin Retzer
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In its search for more playmakers, Ford City found an effective receiving threat in senior Justin Retzer.
After three weeks, Retzer had six catches for just 39 yards. But he became a major contributor in Week 4, when he had a 68-yard touchdown reception and also threw a 20-yard touchdown pass on a trick play.
The 5-foot-10, 180-pound senior, a former running back who switched positions as a senior, finished with a career-high nine receptions for 100 yards last week during the Sabers' 17-10 loss to Burrell.
Q: Was that the game plan going in, to throw all those short passes and screens to you?
A: We were trying to run the ball up the middle and to get the ball to (Devan Willyard), but they were shutting us down. So, then we found out that the stay call was working real well.
Q: How do you feel about plays where you're basically getting the ball at the line of scrimmage?
A: I guess I have a little speed and can move pretty well, but it's not my strength because I'm not a good cutter. If you get me the ball and create a seam, I'll find it and get through it.
Q: You have a good arm — you've shown that as a starter in baseball. Why not play quarterback?
A: Too much to remember. Way too much.
Q: So you've never been tempted to try it?
A: In junior high, I was the backup quarterback, but I didn't really like it. I wasn't up to it because I was nervous, and I didn't want to screw up since I'd never done it before.
Q: You buy flavored mouth guards, correct? What's the best flavor, and how many flavors have you had?
A: Fruit punch, definitely. I've had two flavors so far. I had mint before, but after a while, it didn't taste too good. Fruit punch lasts forever.
Q: On the topic of tastes: What do you get at Sheetz? They're located everywhere in Armstrong County.
A: Before every practice, every day, I get two hot dogs with ketchup and mustard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- NFL notebook: Sanchez says Eagles signed Tebow as extra arm in camp
- Serious injury reported in Penn Hills fire
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- 3 names added to Tuskegee Airmen Memorial in Sewickley
- Parkway West closure canceled
- Defense dominates West Virginia’s spring game
- Views of Heinz Field entice National Guard recruits
- 2 Hempfield Area students charged with sexting
- Special events planned as part of Kennywood’s 2015 season