Quaker Valley edges rival for WPIAL tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Quaker Valley tennis team gets excited for championship matches against its local rival, Sewickley Academy.
Winning those matches? That's even better.
The Quakers took home the WPIAL Class AA tennis championship with a 3-2 victory over Sewickley Academy Friday afternoon at North Allegheny.
“It's so much better to win when you know you're playing such a great team,” Quaker Valley senior Spencer Caravaggio said. “We had a great time, and I'm just so happy.
In the sixth straight WPIAL championship featuring the Section 6-AA rivals, Quaker Valley avenged its loss from last season to win its sixth championship in the past nine years.
Caravaggio — the WPIAL Class AA singles champion — and freshman Farrah Bojalad won singles matches for the Quakers, and the doubles tandem of Connor Hamilton and Isabella Hubsch clinched the title with a straight-sets victory.
“First singles gets all the glory because that's usually the premier player on the team,” Quaker Valley coach Jeff Sebastian said. “But every time we play Sewickley, it comes down to usually someone on that end (doubles or third singles).”
The Quakers won't have long to enjoy their title as the PIAA tournament will begin Tuesday. Quaker Valley will look to add a state championship to its haul after three runner-up finishes since 2006. The Quakers will play District 5 champion Windber at North Allegheny at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
To win that elusive championship, the Quakers may have to go through their local rivals again –– Sewickley Academy is the defending state champion.
“I think that our team will get better looking into next week from today's experience,” Sewickley Academy coach Whitney Snyder said. “In life, you have to lose before you win — and sometimes you become better because of tough situations you have early on.”
Sewickley Academy will open the state tournament against District 9 champion Elk County Catholic,Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. at DuBois High School.
Ellis School also qualified for the PIAA tournament after defeating South Park, 4-1, in the WPIAL Class AA consolation match Friday at Shady Side Academy. Ellis will take on District 10 champion Mercyhurst Prep at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Pennbriar Athletic Center in Erie.
Doug Gulasy is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-380-8527.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Dunbar Twp. man held for trial in DUI fatality
- New Kensington-Arnold principals given new duties to reflect realignment
- A fair, and fitting, tribute
- Apollo Borough embarks on rental reform with notices to landlords
- Connellsville man held for court in robbery of pizza delivery man
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Kittanning firefighters set to muster up a good time in 125th year
- South Buffalo Township woman accused of stealing nearly $13K from employer
- Family to rebuild Manor home destroyed by fire