Local roundup: Sewickley Academy field hockey advances to WPIAL playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Sewickley Academy field hockey team went 1-1-1 last week prior to the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
The Panthers lost, 2-1, to Upper St. Clair on Senior Day, then defeated Aquinas Academy, 2-1, on Oct. 16. They then tied Ellis School 2-2 on Thursday.
Thursday's match proved to be a preview of the WPIAL playoffs, as Sewickley Academy was scheduled to play Ellis in the semifinal round of the WPIAL Class AA playoffs Wednesday. Results of the match were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
The winner advanced to the WPIAL finals against the winner of Shady Side Academy and Winchester Thurston. The championship game will be 6 p.m. Tuesday at North Allegheny.
Senior Jordan Milo and junior Keenan Hickton each qualified for the PIAA boys golf championship, which was held earlier this week. At the PIAA Western Regional qualifier at Tom's Run Golf Course in Blairsville, Milo shot a 6-over-par 78 to place eighth, and Hickton shot 5-over-par 77 to finish fifth.
The two-day PIAA individual championship was played earlier this week at Heritage Hills Golf Course in York. Results were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
Quaker Valley opened the WPIAL playoffs this week after finishing the regular season 6-4 in Section 2-AA. The Quakers, who finished third in section play behind Ambridge (9-1) and Central Valley (9-1), took on Blackhawk on Tuesday. Results were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
Quaker Valley ended the regular season last week with a 3-1 win over Lincoln Park and a 3-0 loss to Beaver on Senior Night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- Saudi-led attacks seen as escalating violence in Yemen
- Rossi: Time for NCAA to forget late tourney starts
- Barry Manilow plays Pittsburgh ‘one last time’
- Stop foreign dumping, U.S. Steel CEO Longhi tells Congress
- West Virginia women oust Duquesne from WNIT
- IUP races to spot in Division II championship game
- Penguins notebook: Staal insists he never asked for trade to Penguins
- New Ken man ‘holed up’ in house
- Penn Hills junior slain in shooting had visited friends at Monroeville housing complex