Local roundup: Sewickley Academy field hockey advances to WPIAL playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Sewickley Academy field hockey team went 1-1-1 last week prior to the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
The Panthers lost, 2-1, to Upper St. Clair on Senior Day, then defeated Aquinas Academy, 2-1, on Oct. 16. They then tied Ellis School 2-2 on Thursday.
Thursday's match proved to be a preview of the WPIAL playoffs, as Sewickley Academy was scheduled to play Ellis in the semifinal round of the WPIAL Class AA playoffs Wednesday. Results of the match were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
The winner advanced to the WPIAL finals against the winner of Shady Side Academy and Winchester Thurston. The championship game will be 6 p.m. Tuesday at North Allegheny.
Senior Jordan Milo and junior Keenan Hickton each qualified for the PIAA boys golf championship, which was held earlier this week. At the PIAA Western Regional qualifier at Tom's Run Golf Course in Blairsville, Milo shot a 6-over-par 78 to place eighth, and Hickton shot 5-over-par 77 to finish fifth.
The two-day PIAA individual championship was played earlier this week at Heritage Hills Golf Course in York. Results were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
Quaker Valley opened the WPIAL playoffs this week after finishing the regular season 6-4 in Section 2-AA. The Quakers, who finished third in section play behind Ambridge (9-1) and Central Valley (9-1), took on Blackhawk on Tuesday. Results were unavailable prior to this edition's deadline.
Quaker Valley ended the regular season last week with a 3-1 win over Lincoln Park and a 3-0 loss to Beaver on Senior Night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Trump falls to Democrats in latest poll of swing states
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- New Florence assistant fire chief charged with having sex with juvenile
- Wolf still seeking to raise income tax, impose tax on shale-gas drilling
- Fleury’s demeanor helps keep Penguins loose, him playing his best
- Same cast, improved results for Pitt defense
- Gorman: A ridiculous rule for golf
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs