WPIAL playoff soccer capsules
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Class AA BOYS
Knoch (8-8-1) vs. Beaver (7-8-1)
When/where: 2 p.m. at Seneca Valley
Throw-ins: All eight of Knoch's wins came in Section 2-AA play. Its tie is against No. 2 seed Mars. ... Beaver, led by junior midfielder Dillon McLaughlin, has lost three straight.
CLASS AAA GIRLS
No. 9 Hampton (10-7-1) vs. No. 8 seed Fox Chapel (16-2)
When/where: 2 p.m. at Fox Chapel
Throw-ins: Fox Chapel posted 11 shutouts, including one against Hampton. Both of the Foxes' losses are to No. 5 Gateway. ... Hampton has eight shutouts, but the Talbots lost four of five to close the regular season.
No. 15 Plum (9-6-2) vs. No. 2 Seneca Valley (16-1)
When/where: 4 p.m. at Seneca Valley
Throw-ins: Plum hasn't made the WPIAL playoffs since 2002. Junior forward Aaliyah Odom leads the offensive charge. ... Section 2 champion Seneca Valley also has a double-digit goal-scorer in senior forward Morgan Williams.
CLASS AA GIRLS
No. 9 Highlands (15-3) vs. No. 8 Quaker Valley (15-2-1)
When/where: 2 p.m. at Hopewell
Throw-ins: Highlands lost to Quaker Valley, 3-0, in its season opener. Highlands is led by senior and 19-goal scorer Natale Richards. ... Quaker Valley finished second to Section 5-AA champion Moon, the No. 2 seed.
No. 14 Knoch (11-7) vs. No. 3 Central Valley (14-0-2)
When/where: 4 p.m. at Central Valley
Throw-ins: Knoch advanced to the second round last season. The Knight have dropped three straight but all against playoff teams. ... Central Valley reached the semifinals last season before losing to runner-up South Park.
CLASS A GIRLS
No. 9 Springdale (8-10) vs. No. 8 Charleroi (9-7-2)
When/where: 4 p.m. at Gateway
Throw-ins: Perennial contender and returning WPIAL and PIAA runner-up Springdale hasn't had a losing season since 2006, the year before coach Jerry Concannon arrived. ... Six of Section 2 runner-up Charleroi's losses are by shutout.
No. 15 Riverview (9-8-1) vs. No. 2 Sewickley Academy (17-0-1)
When/where: 4 p.m. at Moon
Throw-ins: Riverview is on a four-game winning streak. The Raiders made the playoffs despite losing standout Roya Fashandi to a knee injury early in the season. ... Sewickley Academy has 13 shutout wins and has surrendered four goals all season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Philly DA says no affidavits claimed by AG Kane in bribery case existed
- Demolition project at Oliver’s Pourhouse in Greensburg moves forward
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale
- Toast of the Town: Explore Lawrenceville’s many watering holes
- With 3 more players possibly affected, Pens’ mumps fight escalates