Trib HS Insider Q&A: Clairton's Tyler Boyd
By Josh Yohe
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012, 11:02 p.m.
Senior Tyler Boyd is the face of the Clairton football program, which has won a nation-leading 55 consecutive games. The Bears lost the first game of Boyd's career when he was a freshman. They haven't lost since.
A highly recruited player, with Division I offers from schools around the country, Boyd has rushed for more than 4,000 career yards and is closing in on 100 career touchdowns.
He is the reigning state Class A player of the year and is the first Class A player from the WPIAL to be selected for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
This season, Boyd has rushed for 1,189 yards and 19 touchdowns on 93 carries for the top-ranked Bears (8-0, 8-0).
Q: You're approaching 100 touchdowns for your career. What does that mean to you?
A: It means a lot. I don't even know if that's ever been done. So yeah, it definitely means a lot. I'm aware of it.
Q: Your coach, Tom Nola, is a man of few words. Is it tempting to laugh during his pregame speeches?
A: Oh yeah, sometimes. When he's being real serious, that's when sometimes he says something really funny.
Q: Clairton has won 55 straight games. Can anyone beat you guys?
A: Only if we beat ourselves.
Q: Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCLA, WVU, Pitt and Penn State all want you. Are you distracted?
A: Nah, not really. It's honestly not as bad now as it was during the summer.
Q: Do you have it narrowed down to a top 5 yet?
A: Not yet. I'm still working on it.
Q: Is Clairton the best program in WPIAL history?
A: I'd have to say yes just because of the fact that we always have athletes, every year, and it's so hard for any team to ever stop us.
Josh Yohe is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Maatta not a top rookie finalist
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Former PPG executive indicted in fatal N.H. crash
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Wilkinsburg woman, 24, dies in crash
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Indictment alleges scheme defrauded government of $10 million
- Alaska’s Iditarod Trail challenges Unity couple
- Heyl: Even crooks know UPMC’s full of it
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder