Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
By Jerry Clark
Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Mix-up at poll could impact Freeport Area School Board race
- Hot days, cool books: Plenty of good choices for summer reads
- Marine restores pride of Memorial Day parade on streets of Lawrenceville
- Harrison commissioners considering paving bids
- PIAA board delays vote on Leechburg switch
- Pipeline project creates unease
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Group of immigrants welcomed into U.S. citizenship at Soldiers & Sailors
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.