Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Police: Escaped Armstrong County inmate armed, dangerous homicide suspect
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Bubble soccer bounces its way into Western Pa. sports venues
- Since 1969, Pine resident Fitzgerald’s garden has flourished
- Fashion FYI: RAW: Pittsburgh showcase features over 40 artists
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Stocks bounce back from big losses to close relatively flat
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin says Latrobe session won’t differ from normal practice
- NFL notebook: Brady’s lawsuit will be heard in New York