Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ prime-time games shrink attendance at Heinz Field
- Court validates Highmark Medicare plan that excludes UPMC
- Woman’s body found in Adams home
- Starkey: Hockey hypocrites, unite
- State trooper struck by SUV in Westmoreland faces more surgery, long recovery
- Analyst outlines Klein’s supplements, prescriptions
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Slow-moving train hits car in Lawrenceville
- 2 Fayette commissioners oust Ambrosini as board chairman
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger, offense must adjust with CB Smith out
- At least 2 dead after plane crashes at Kansas airport