Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bubble players get last chance to impress Steelers
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Asking price for Penguins franchise said to be at a record $750M
- Roundup: U.S. bank earnings up 7.3% in 2nd quarter; IMF warns China slowdown threatens global economy; more
- Adrian man sentenced to 10 years in prison for sex crimes
- American to halt 2 direct routes from Pittsburgh International
- Pa. business interests decry EPA ozone proposal as economic albatross
- Family affair for Charleroi HOF inductions
- U.S. stocks bounce back from precipitous drop
- Western Pennsylvania schools’ denial of access to roofers prompts suit