Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- West Homestead man taken into custody after 8-hour police standoff in Hempfield
- Pirates cut 12, including outfielder Tabata and pitcher Lincoln
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- State police seek info on police impersonator in Export
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Jury convicts East Hills man in ‘party bus’ shooting
- Roberto Clemente Bridge closes for construction of bike lanes
- Aldi to open store where Bottom Dollar closed in Garfield
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney
- Plagued by bomb threats, Yough offering $1,000 reward