Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man reports being hit by bullet in Highland Park
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- CBS’ ‘Code Black’ inspired by Pitt medical school graduate’s documentary
- Penguins lose hard-fought game to Blue Jackets in overtime
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Dinner-show to kick off holiday season at Albert Gallatin
- Center at Penn State Fayette puts students on path to success
- Fayette County Courthouse setting for ‘Magic and Mistletoe’
- Unsung backups provide boost for Steelers defensive line
- Holiday movie gives Cal U students get 2 seconds of fame
- Quiz Bowl at Penn State Fayette gets students’ competitive juices flowing