Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Wolf still seeking to raise income tax, impose tax on shale-gas drilling
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- Pittsburgh council to consider extending business district tax
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- New Florence assistant fire chief charged with having sex with juvenile
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Heating oil costs lowest in years