Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt students clean up Mon Valley neighborhoods for annual service day
- North Versailles Township commissioner opposes closing Green Valley Primary School
- ReClaim McKeesport ambassadors transform vacant lot
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- Ebola watch lists to shrink
- Cookies for Our Troops marches on