Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- Nor’easter threatens Northeast with up to 2 feet of snow
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- Storm could drop 4-6 inches of snow on Pittsburgh area
- ‘Free’ wine kiosk initiative costs state Liquor Control Board $300K
- Linemen commit to PSU, boosting Franklin’s recruiting class
- Spokesman: Secret Service recovers ‘device’ at White House
- 1 of 2 killed in Marine chopper crash was from Indiana, Pa.
- Vets study links PB pills, genetic variations to Gulf War illness
- Central Catholic’s Petrishen says he enjoys hectic recruiting process