Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Video posted online captures Wilkinsburg child’s injuries
- Bayer plastics unit may be gone
- Pirates hit 3 HRs in rout of Red Sox
- Number of jobs in high-tech industry outpace workers in Pittsburgh, nation
- Steelers defense a long way from ‘greatest of all time’
- Starkey: Two amazing Pirates fans
- Police chase ends with shooting in Bell Township; suspect wounded
- Steelers remain confident in ground game
- Fed not budging on rate increase
- New Kensington-Arnold teachers accept 3-year contract
- NFL notebook: Cardinals RB Dwyer arrested on assault charges