Senior lifts Hampton girls soccer team to upset
By Jerry Clark
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Hampton girls soccer coach Frank Christy may have been shocked when his team upset Fox Chapel on the road, 2-0, to advance to the second round of the WPIAL playoffs.
But Pennsylvania's all-time winningest girls soccer coach said he'll take it.
“We are not used to scoring two goals in a playoff game,” Christy said. “We tried a different set up in the second half to create some more offense. Fox Chapel is a strong defensive team; they have been for years.”
Both goals came courtesy of senior Amanda Spencer, who said she was just happy to help her team.
“The first goal was no pressure; I just dropped it and kicked it,” Spencer said. “The second goal, Lauren Fry did a good job holding the ball up for me.”
The win puts the Lady Talbots in the second round against Peter Township, the state's second-ranked team.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Orpik: Penguins must keep their cool
- Penguins’ Bylsma wants Cup version of Letang
- Alvarez struggles as Pirates fall short against Brewers
- Latrobe woman texts searchers in Linn Run State Park to tell them she’s OK
- Portersville man charged with homicide of Harmony man
- RiverQuest short of money, looks for a partner
- Rossi: Pens sticking to power-play plan
- Survivors in critical condition a day after fifth Armstrong County car crash victim dies
- Police say Latrobe woman bought gun for boyfriend, who shot neighbor
- Former Mystic Inn burns in Republic, Fayette County