Schwartz takes first place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Penguins’ prospects could hinge on health of Letang, Maataa
- Pittsburgh Police Department to expand use of body cameras for officers
- Westmoreland subsidy that helps finance Spirit Airlines draws scrutiny
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles
- Hempfield woman bounces back from serious car crash
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Armstrong hockey aiming for return to Consol
- Lottery wants volunteer witnesses from Western Pennsylvania
- College coaches get glimpse of area talent at West Mifflin baseball showcase