Schwartz takes first place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Starkey: Pens move on with, without Dupuis
- Plum man killed in Saltsburg Road rollover
- School bus accident in Pleasant Hills sends 4 to the hospital
- Penn State defense proves among best in school history
- Philadelphia hospital evaluating patient for Ebola
- Westmoreland County sheriff won’t alter staffing as cash runs out
- New assistant Agnew has Pens’ PK, defense among league’s best