Schwartz takes first place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Southbound McKnight Road closed for power line repairs
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Fallingwater among Wright buildings nominated for World Heritage List
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Iraqi libraries ransacked
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, poll finds
- As banking goes mobile, branch closures rip through local economy