Carlynton cliips Vincentian boys soccer in shootout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When Mitch Riehle took over the Vincentian boys soccer program, he inherited a talented core of players, many of whom he previously had coached as children.
The team was primed for a run at a title with talents like Mike Haberman, John Michael DiDonato, Alec Costa, Corbin Costa, Nick Bensics, Nick Giltrow and Ethan Andolina.
The Royals enjoyed a 10-4 regular season, riding a nine-game winning streak at one point, but the team dropped three of its last four, including a 2-1 decision in the opening round of the playoffs in a shootout against Carlynton.
“It was a disappointing loss, and I felt we could have played better,” Riehle said. “We played them in the preseason and scored in the first minute of the (playoff) game. Then, we started to play sloppy. Communication lacked, and we had problems passing and funneling. I thought we were the better team; we just weren't mentally prepared.”
The game was tied, 1-1, at the half, and Haberman was hit with his second yellow card, forcing him to sit out and giving Carlynton a man advantage.
After the loss, Riehle reflected on his talented group.
“I will miss the seniors. Four of them I coached since fourth grade,” Riehle said. “They are a talented group skill wise.”
The coach already is looking toward next season and said the group coming back is talented and has the ability to work well together.
“We had a good season, and now, we will look to next year,” Riehle said.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf to sign order barring drilling of new oil, gas wells in state forests, parks
- Pa. police departments worry order on criminal seizures hurts bottom line
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- UPMC, Highmark disagree over payment of medical claims for children
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Woman charged in Jan. 4 homicide outside Brighton Heights tavern
- Donora man apprehended after North Belle Vernon pharmacy robbery
- Police standoff in Pleasant Hills ends with man found dead