Gateway tops Canon-McMillan in overtime
By Michael Love
Published: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 8:32 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 25, 2012
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team upended Canon-McMillan, 2-1, in a shootout Wednesday, and the program will play in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in its 27-year history.
The fifth-seeded Gators will take on top-seeded Peters Township in the semifinals on Tuesday. Peters Township defeated Hampton, 1-0, on Wednesday.
No. 2 seed Seneca Valley and third-seeded Bethel Park will meet in the other semifinal contest.
The top three teams from Class AAA advance to the PIAA playoffs, and Gateway is guaranteed at least one game beyond the semifinals.
The third-place team will be determined through a consolation game on Nov. 3, but the Gators hope to be involved in the WPIAL title game that same day and already know they will be in the state tournament.
The semifinal winners automatically qualify for states.
Senior forward Carly Seneca scored Gateway's lone goal in regulation against Canon-McMillan, and after both teams played through two overtime periods, Seneca tallied the deciding goal in the shootout.
Seneca has 24 goals this season.
Gateway improved to 16-3-1 with the victory. Canon-McMillan, the 13th seed, was in the quarterfinals after upsetting Penn-Trafford, 3-1, in the first round.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Tea party protesters target Pittsburgh federal building
- Penguins’ breakdown on Alfredsson goal changes series
- Judge: Stop feeding the voters
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
- Blocked parking frustrates Squirrel Hll voters
- Turnout light across Western Pa. as voters hit polls
- Pitt basketball team to play in Legends Classic
- Penguins notebook: Jokinen’s faceoff skills may be needed
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.