High school roundup: Trinity clinches 3rd place in Big 9
By Staff Reports
Published: Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012, 6:40 p.m.
Trinity's football team scored third place in the Class AAA Big 9 Conference with a 31-30 victory in double overtime Saturday at Ringgold.
Don McWreath scored on a 1-yard run, and Sam Trapuzzano's extra point gave Trinity a seven-point lead in the second overtime.
Demetrius Louis, who rushed for 118 yards and two touchdowns, scored for Ringgold on the ensuing possession, but the two-point conversion failed.
The game decided the postseason order in the Big 9: Thomas Jefferson (8-0), West Mifflin (7-1), Trinity (5-3), Elizabeth Forward (5-3), Ringgold (4-4) and Belle Vernon (4-4), which earned the Class AAA wild-card berth.
Western Beaver 20, South Side Beaver 15 — Zach Perry scored on runs of 13 and 3 yards, and Steve Robinson added a 5-yard TD carry to give Western Beaver (3-6, 2-6) a Class A Big Seven Conference win.
Jonathan Magusiak kicked a 24-yard field goal and scored on a 9-yard run for South Side Beaver (2-7, 1-7).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Armstrong County crash
- Kovacevic: Bylsma’s moves — yes, moves — pay off
- Group wants Consol to adhere to terms of Greene County mining permit
- U.S. attorney seeks plan for reducing heroin overdoses
- Police see no sign Franklin Regional stabbing suspect was bullied
- Bishop Zubik urges Catholics to evangelize
- Penguins rally to escape with a victory in Game 1 against Columbus
- South Fayette parents express dissatisfaction with handling of bullying
- Former Pitt captain Cavanaugh blazes trail as entrepreneur
- Authorities investigating skeletal remains found in Ohio River in Avalon
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions