Prospect watch: Aliquippa's Dravon Henry
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot, 185 pounds, RB-DB, Aliquippa
When Aliquippa coach Mike Zmijanac called Dravon Henry into his office and informed the Quips' star that Ohio State had offered a scholarship, Henry was in denial.
“I didn't believe it at first,” Henry said. “Then I went on the Internet and saw a story that they were recruiting me, and saw it was for real.”
Henry was excited, not because it was his first offer — he counts Pitt, West Virginia, Kent State, Maryland, Rutgers and Toledo are among his suitors — but rather that he wasn't expecting the Buckeyes to pull the trigger so soon in his junior year.
“More like it came out of nowhere,” Henry said. “I was kind of shocked.”
Don't be surprised that Henry plans to play defense, despite rushing for 1,072 yards and 17 touchdowns this season and 3,357 yards and 48 touchdowns in three seasons as a starter.
Henry sees himself as a safety, where he had nine interceptions last season and two this fall. In fact, he was excited when one recruiting site called him “Henry Island,” a reference to the nickname of former Aliquippa and Pitt star Darrelle Revis, an All-Pro cornerback for the New York Jets and Henry's cousin.
Henry hopes to visit Ohio State for its game against arch-rival Michigan later this month, and says the Buckeyes want Aliquippa junior defensive tackle Jaleel Fields to accompany him.
“It feels good,” Henry said. “It actually makes me want to work harder.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Cat found shot with arrow in Penn Township expected to survive
- Allegheny County budget proposal sidesteps tax increase, boosts jail spending
- Wolf still seeking to raise income tax, impose tax on shale-gas drilling
- Hampton’s Balish, GCC’s Zambruno capture WPIAL girls golf titles
- State Supreme Court concludes hearing on UPMC-Highmark Medicare case
- Johnstown man accused of sexual misconduct at state park
- Out-of-control car strikes four vehicles, building in Verona
- Mexico’s army chief denies troops involved in massacre