Peters Township ends Gateway's WPIAL title hopes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team was unable to solve Peters Township's defense, and the No. 1 seed defeated the Gators, 3-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game Wednesday evening at Baldwin.
Gateway, the No. 5 seed, fell to 16-4-1 with the loss. It played in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in the program's 27-year history.
Despite the loss, the Gators remain alive and will play Bethel Park on Saturday in the WPIAL consolation contest. The time and location of the game is to be determined Thursday.
Gateway will play for a spot in the PIAA playoffs, which begins Tuesday. The top three WPIAL teams in Class AAA advance to states.
The Gators and Bethel Park met in the regular season, with Bethel Park coming out on top, 4-0.
Seneca Valley, the No. 2 seed, upended Bethel Park, 1-0, in Wednesday's other semifinal.
Peters Township gained the upper hand early in Wednesday's game with a goal 10 minutes into the contest.
The Indians added two insurance goals in the second half to set the final.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Protest planned Monday at Plum Borough High School
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Behind Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Counselors available at Hempfield after crash kills student
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh
- Hempfield teen hurt in single-vehicle crash
- A host of top NFL Draft picks figure to be versatile defensive linemen
- Injured Penguins optimistic about returning next season
- Oak Ridge couple transforms 1820 house into quaint bed and breakfast
- Life’s moments still matter to Trafford author Jakiela
- Penguins notebook: Crosby to play in worlds for 1st time since 2006