Peters Township ends Gateway's WPIAL title hopes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team was unable to solve Peters Township's defense, and the No. 1 seed defeated the Gators, 3-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game Wednesday evening at Baldwin.
Gateway, the No. 5 seed, fell to 16-4-1 with the loss. It played in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in the program's 27-year history.
Despite the loss, the Gators remain alive and will play Bethel Park on Saturday in the WPIAL consolation contest. The time and location of the game is to be determined Thursday.
Gateway will play for a spot in the PIAA playoffs, which begins Tuesday. The top three WPIAL teams in Class AAA advance to states.
The Gators and Bethel Park met in the regular season, with Bethel Park coming out on top, 4-0.
Seneca Valley, the No. 2 seed, upended Bethel Park, 1-0, in Wednesday's other semifinal.
Peters Township gained the upper hand early in Wednesday's game with a goal 10 minutes into the contest.
The Indians added two insurance goals in the second half to set the final.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Virginia GOP Senate candidate Gillespie piles up mileage in pursuit of Warner
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Pittsburgh police force’s diversity worsens since ACLU filed discrimination lawsuit in 2012
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Bitter loss fuels Kiski Area boys soccer