Peters Township ends Gateway's WPIAL title hopes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team was unable to solve Peters Township's defense, and the No. 1 seed defeated the Gators, 3-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game Wednesday evening at Baldwin.
Gateway, the No. 5 seed, fell to 16-4-1 with the loss. It played in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in the program's 27-year history.
Despite the loss, the Gators remain alive and will play Bethel Park on Saturday in the WPIAL consolation contest. The time and location of the game is to be determined Thursday.
Gateway will play for a spot in the PIAA playoffs, which begins Tuesday. The top three WPIAL teams in Class AAA advance to states.
The Gators and Bethel Park met in the regular season, with Bethel Park coming out on top, 4-0.
Seneca Valley, the No. 2 seed, upended Bethel Park, 1-0, in Wednesday's other semifinal.
Peters Township gained the upper hand early in Wednesday's game with a goal 10 minutes into the contest.
The Indians added two insurance goals in the second half to set the final.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Steelers hope new faces breathe life into team
- Steelers’ Spence confident he can avoid injury setbacks
- UPMC, Pittsburgh drop tax-status fight
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- GM Colbert expects Roethlisberger to end career with Steelers
- Autopsy scheduled on Pleasant Hills man, 95, who died following crash
- Congressmen ask NCAA to relax PSU penalties
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires