Peters Township ends Gateway's WPIAL title hopes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team was unable to solve Peters Township's defense, and the No. 1 seed defeated the Gators, 3-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game Wednesday evening at Baldwin.
Gateway, the No. 5 seed, fell to 16-4-1 with the loss. It played in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in the program's 27-year history.
Despite the loss, the Gators remain alive and will play Bethel Park on Saturday in the WPIAL consolation contest. The time and location of the game is to be determined Thursday.
Gateway will play for a spot in the PIAA playoffs, which begins Tuesday. The top three WPIAL teams in Class AAA advance to states.
The Gators and Bethel Park met in the regular season, with Bethel Park coming out on top, 4-0.
Seneca Valley, the No. 2 seed, upended Bethel Park, 1-0, in Wednesday's other semifinal.
Peters Township gained the upper hand early in Wednesday's game with a goal 10 minutes into the contest.
The Indians added two insurance goals in the second half to set the final.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Months of hard work go into Alle-Kiski high-school musicals
- Chef’s compassion showed through food ministry
- Scientists concerned seas will rise, reshaping coastlines
- Baylor downs West Virginia, sweeps season series
- Devices, exercises can keep technology from being a pain
- Florida fisherman’s high court win spurs call for legal reform
- Quick marinade adds bold flavor to lamb
- RMU men win, clinch 2nd seed in NEC Tournament
- Penguins notebook: Shootouts becoming a concern
- MLB notebook: White Sox ace Sale out with broken right foot
- Cooking Class: Pork Tenderloin Medallions With Sweet Pea Risotto at Franco’s Trattoria