Quaker Valley boys soccer team upends Mars for Class AA crown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Quaker Valley won its WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal and its semifinal in overtime, so it seemed fitting that Saturday's championship against Mars also went into extra time.
And sophomore Adam Richert made sure his team's magic stayed alive, drilling a shot into the left corner of the net with 4.2 seconds left in double overtime to give the Quakers (18-3-1) a 2-1 victory at Chartiers Valley.
“Me and my teammates were getting close,” said Richert, who also scored the overtime winner in the quarterfinals against Hopewell. “Captain Dante Piccolo had a couple nice rips and got close a couple times, (and) I had one.”
No. 4 Quaker Valley dominated both overtimes offensively, but the team missed several chances before Richert's goal — most notably when Matthew Rodgers hit the crossbar in the sixth minute of overtime.
“It was frustrating,” Quaker Valley coach Gene Klein said. “I thought we were controlling things. We were getting good chances, and we just couldn't put one in.”
Matt White scored for Mars (18-3-1).
In the consolation game, Belle Vernon defeated South Fayette, 1-0, on Jesse Kallam's goal to earn a spot in the PIAA Class AA playoffs.
Doug Gulasy is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Student: Ex-Titan chased him, friends before crash
- Pirates defeat Braves, 3-2, clinch NL playoff spot for 2nd consecutive season
- Steelers’ Tomlin says practice will determine OLB Harrison’s role
- Steelers’ Taylor recovering from forearm surgery
- Aging natural gaslines pose hidden threat
- Pirates notebook: Pirates prepare for playoff berth celebration
- Steelers notebook: Archer shooting for return vs. Buccaneers
- Penguins blanked at Columbus, 2-0
- Port Authority: Drivers ‘reckless’ before buses bumped, 1 went over hillside
- Pirates beat Braves, clinch 2nd straight trip to postseason
- Pennsylvania Sen. Jim Ferlo: ‘I’m gay. Get over it. I love it’