Local roundup: Fox Chapel volleyball team loses in PIAA play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One of the most successful seasons in Fox Chapel girls volleyball history came to a close Tuesday night, as the Foxes dropped a 3-2 decision to District 6 champion State College in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs at Central Cambria High School.
The WPIAL runner-up Foxes, making their first appearance in the state playoffs, ended the season 18-5.
Fox Chapel led, 2-1, before losing the final two games.
“Overall, I think it was a rewarding season; We have never been to states before and, if anything, we can chalk it up as a learning experience,” Fox Chapel coach Sara D'Angelo said. “I think the girls, even though they are upset about the loss, are happy about what they accomplished this season.”
Kittanning 5, Mars 2 — Hunter Grafton's hat trick and two assists led the way for Kittanning in a victory over Mars in a Class A nonsection match at BladeRunners in Warrendale.
Christian Miller chipped in two goals, including the game-winner at 3:09 of the second period for the Wildcats (2-0).
Goaltender Cameron Langham stopped 29 of 32 shots and was dominant for most of the second and third periods.
Craig Mazzotta contributed a goal and an assist for Mars (2-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roundup: Wealth gap largest on record, Pew study shows; McDonald’s in Japan limits orders of fries; more
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- West Mifflin soccer fields nearly done, but play will be delayed
- West Mifflin man charged with risking catastrophe
- Philly DA says no affidavits claimed by AG Kane in bribery case existed
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Son charged in dismemberment death of mother, stepfather in Penn Hills
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale
- Connellsville Area High School Chamber Ensemble awaiting word on sing-off