Local roundup: Fox Chapel volleyball team loses in PIAA play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One of the most successful seasons in Fox Chapel girls volleyball history came to a close Tuesday night, as the Foxes dropped a 3-2 decision to District 6 champion State College in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs at Central Cambria High School.
The WPIAL runner-up Foxes, making their first appearance in the state playoffs, ended the season 18-5.
Fox Chapel led, 2-1, before losing the final two games.
“Overall, I think it was a rewarding season; We have never been to states before and, if anything, we can chalk it up as a learning experience,” Fox Chapel coach Sara D'Angelo said. “I think the girls, even though they are upset about the loss, are happy about what they accomplished this season.”
Kittanning 5, Mars 2 — Hunter Grafton's hat trick and two assists led the way for Kittanning in a victory over Mars in a Class A nonsection match at BladeRunners in Warrendale.
Christian Miller chipped in two goals, including the game-winner at 3:09 of the second period for the Wildcats (2-0).
Goaltender Cameron Langham stopped 29 of 32 shots and was dominant for most of the second and third periods.
Craig Mazzotta contributed a goal and an assist for Mars (2-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Chrysler recalls up to 792K Jeep SUVs for ignition switch defect
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Allegheny County warns of uptick in Lyme disease cases
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Paterno son, another ex-football assistant coach suing PSU
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Pop star Perry brings high-energy world tour to Consol
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Greene Co. town sued over regulation on seismic testing
- Volunteer firefighter put others first