Local roundup: Fox Chapel volleyball team loses in PIAA play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One of the most successful seasons in Fox Chapel girls volleyball history came to a close Tuesday night, as the Foxes dropped a 3-2 decision to District 6 champion State College in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs at Central Cambria High School.
The WPIAL runner-up Foxes, making their first appearance in the state playoffs, ended the season 18-5.
Fox Chapel led, 2-1, before losing the final two games.
“Overall, I think it was a rewarding season; We have never been to states before and, if anything, we can chalk it up as a learning experience,” Fox Chapel coach Sara D'Angelo said. “I think the girls, even though they are upset about the loss, are happy about what they accomplished this season.”
Kittanning 5, Mars 2 — Hunter Grafton's hat trick and two assists led the way for Kittanning in a victory over Mars in a Class A nonsection match at BladeRunners in Warrendale.
Christian Miller chipped in two goals, including the game-winner at 3:09 of the second period for the Wildcats (2-0).
Goaltender Cameron Langham stopped 29 of 32 shots and was dominant for most of the second and third periods.
Craig Mazzotta contributed a goal and an assist for Mars (2-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- Tanker crash closes lane of Turnpike in Penn Township
- National Weather Service to evaluate work after missed call on storm
- Gorman: Not just a no-brainer for Pine-Richland’s DiNucci
- Blizzard howls its way into Boston but largely spares NYC
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Western Pa. farm markets keep customers coming when nothing’s growing