Local roundup: Fox Chapel volleyball team loses in PIAA play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One of the most successful seasons in Fox Chapel girls volleyball history came to a close Tuesday night, as the Foxes dropped a 3-2 decision to District 6 champion State College in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs at Central Cambria High School.
The WPIAL runner-up Foxes, making their first appearance in the state playoffs, ended the season 18-5.
Fox Chapel led, 2-1, before losing the final two games.
“Overall, I think it was a rewarding season; We have never been to states before and, if anything, we can chalk it up as a learning experience,” Fox Chapel coach Sara D'Angelo said. “I think the girls, even though they are upset about the loss, are happy about what they accomplished this season.”
Kittanning 5, Mars 2 — Hunter Grafton's hat trick and two assists led the way for Kittanning in a victory over Mars in a Class A nonsection match at BladeRunners in Warrendale.
Christian Miller chipped in two goals, including the game-winner at 3:09 of the second period for the Wildcats (2-0).
Goaltender Cameron Langham stopped 29 of 32 shots and was dominant for most of the second and third periods.
Craig Mazzotta contributed a goal and an assist for Mars (2-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Pitt football notebook: Panthers’ depth at RB, offensive line shows against Syracuse
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Man sets house fire, kills deputy
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Allegheny County adoption events joins 40 children with families
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- Allegheny County buck may prove to be state’s largest ever taken