Local roundup: Fox Chapel volleyball team loses in PIAA play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One of the most successful seasons in Fox Chapel girls volleyball history came to a close Tuesday night, as the Foxes dropped a 3-2 decision to District 6 champion State College in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs at Central Cambria High School.
The WPIAL runner-up Foxes, making their first appearance in the state playoffs, ended the season 18-5.
Fox Chapel led, 2-1, before losing the final two games.
“Overall, I think it was a rewarding season; We have never been to states before and, if anything, we can chalk it up as a learning experience,” Fox Chapel coach Sara D'Angelo said. “I think the girls, even though they are upset about the loss, are happy about what they accomplished this season.”
Kittanning 5, Mars 2 — Hunter Grafton's hat trick and two assists led the way for Kittanning in a victory over Mars in a Class A nonsection match at BladeRunners in Warrendale.
Christian Miller chipped in two goals, including the game-winner at 3:09 of the second period for the Wildcats (2-0).
Goaltender Cameron Langham stopped 29 of 32 shots and was dominant for most of the second and third periods.
Craig Mazzotta contributed a goal and an assist for Mars (2-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Alone at controls, co-pilot sought to ‘destroy’ the plane
- Pitt adds quarterback recruit from Cincinnati
- 3 names removed from Springdale ballot
- Allegheny DA to seek death penalty in Crawford Village homicide
- OSHA fines East Deer company in aftermath of worker’s electrocution
- Aliquippa student caught bringing gun to school
- Washington County probation officer sues for being fired after talking to investigators
- Ford City woman injured in crash
- Conventions for barbershop quartets, police, veterans visiting Pittsburgh in 2015
- Pittsburgh abortion clinic buffer zone fight moves to appeals court