University Prep claims title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
University Prep defeated Clearfield, 36-22, to win the PIAA Districts 5-6-8-9 Class AAA championship.
The Wildcats got off to a quick start, scoring 14 points in the first quarter and 22 total in the first half, while holding Clearfield to nine points in the first half.
Senior quarterback Akil Young led the Wildcats' offense, completing 23 of his 36 attempts for 353 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions.
Three University Prep players had five or more catches, with running back Clay Moorefield leading the way. The junior tailback led all Wildcats receivers with eight receptions for 98 yards and one touchdown.
Clearfield got strong efforts from junior quarterback Christian Lezzer, and senior wideout Trey Jordan. Lezzer threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns, and Jordan led all wideouts with 180 yards receiving and two touchdowns on six catches. Turnovers proved to be the difference for Clearfield, as the Falcons committed six, including three Lezzer interceptions.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins testing Fleury, Maatta, Bortuzzo for mumps
- Police: Deer rifle in vehicle at Southmoreland High School
- Parent finds body in parking lot of Stanton Heights elementary school, prompting lockdown
- Sony cancels ‘The Interview’ Dec. 25 release
- Son charged in dismemberment death of Penn Hills couple
- Former Charlotte coach to lead Riverhounds
- Route 981 sewage project could cost less
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Squirrel Hill lawyer suspended from practicing until September
- Braddock man admits to role in drug ring
- Pitt coach Chryst expected to take Wisconsin job