University Prep claims title
Published: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 9:42 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
University Prep defeated Clearfield, 36-22, to win the PIAA Districts 5-6-8-9 Class AAA championship.
The Wildcats got off to a quick start, scoring 14 points in the first quarter and 22 total in the first half, while holding Clearfield to nine points in the first half.
Senior quarterback Akil Young led the Wildcats' offense, completing 23 of his 36 attempts for 353 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions.
Three University Prep players had five or more catches, with running back Clay Moorefield leading the way. The junior tailback led all Wildcats receivers with eight receptions for 98 yards and one touchdown.
Clearfield got strong efforts from junior quarterback Christian Lezzer, and senior wideout Trey Jordan. Lezzer threw for 235 yards and three touchdowns, and Jordan led all wideouts with 180 yards receiving and two touchdowns on six catches. Turnovers proved to be the difference for Clearfield, as the Falcons committed six, including three Lezzer interceptions.
- Jack Wagner concedes to Pittsburgh mayoral challenger Bill Peduto
- Steelers notebook: Less talk, more work is Tomlin’s theme
- Penguins notebook: Morrow leaves practice with injury
- Child killed in East Hills shooting
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Senators notebook: Pens' Crosby has defensive shadows
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Suicide stuns visitors to Notre Dame Cathedral
- Food haulers targeted by police, ag inspectors
- Small ball sends North Allegheny to finals
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.