WPIAL Class AAA final notes: West Allegheny is still perfect
By George Guido
Published: Friday, November 23, 2012, 11:48 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 28, 2012
West Allegheny became the first WPIAL school to win six championship games without a loss, tying the program for ninth place in WPIAL titles with Braddock, Washington and Farrell.
Tough on defense
In four WPIAL playoff games, the Indians have yielded just 24 points. Friday marked the eighth consecutive game where West Allegheny has given up one touchdown or less.
Seen you before
Friday was the fourth time the two Class AAA finalists have met in the playoffs. West Mifflin defeated West Allegheny in the 2004 semifinals, 23-22.
In 2000, West Allegheny won the WPIAL title with a 21-7 victory over the Titans. In 1999, the Indians recorded a 10-7 win in the quarterfinal round.
Off the field
None of the eight school bands were permitted on the field at halftime Friday. Instead, the musicians entertained from the padded team bench areas in front of their fans because of concerns regarding field conditions, particularly with Pitt scheduled to play Temple Saturday afternoon. That will give Heinz Field five games in the space of about 29 hours.
Not next year
There will be a break from the tradition of the WPIAL finals on Thanksgiving weekend next year.
The 2013 championship round is slated for the weekend of Nov. 22-23. Thanksgiving will fall on Nov. 28, the latest date possible for the holiday.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Ordinance to restrict lions, tigers and bears in White Oak
- Slight tax increase proposed in Norwin
- Penguins’ breakdown on Alfredsson goal changes series
- Pleasant Hills sets weight limits
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
- Commissioners, sanitary authority remain at odds
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Senators exude confidence after stirring Game 3 victory
- Cooke has been steadying force for Penguins in playoffs
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.