WPIAL Class AA final notes: Aliquippa brings home another title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Aliquippa's is now 15-8 in WPIAL championship games, including a 13-12 victory over Washington in the 1952 title game. Aliquippa has won 70 WPIAL playoff games.
Most everyone knows that both schools in the Class AA finals are among the winningest in WPIAL history. Aliquippa has won 646 times, fourth best in the WPIAL annals; Washington checks in at 634 victories, sixth all time in the WPIAL.
Putting the brakes on
The Aliquippa defense held WPIAL rushing yardage leader Shai McKenzie to just 33 yards. McKenzie finished the year with 2,689 yards, just short of Rushel Shell's single-season mark of 2,740. McKenzie, a junior, tallied 42 touchdowns this season.
If there's one fact that illustrates Aliquippa's defensive domination — Washington didn't run a play from scrimmage in Quips territory. The closest the Little Prexies got to Aliquippa territory, other than the fumble recovery return, was their 46-yard line on their first possession of the game. Washington never had the ball for more than six offensive plays in a series, doing it twice.
Holding them down
Washington's defense held Aliquippa under its average of 52 points per game. Aliquippa has scored 658 points this season, fourth best in WPIAL history with the possibility of three games remaining.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers should corner the market at NFL Draft
- Photo gallery: Steelers 1st-round draft picks
- Former Franklin Park woman convicted of abusing adopted children to be freed from jail
- Shoplifting ring targeted Lowe’s stores in 5 Western Pa. counties
- Plum High School teacher hires attorney who also represents Jerry Sandusky
- Most talent in NFL Draft play at Steelers’ positions of need
- Pro wrestling legend Verne Gagne dies at age 89
- National Guard called in to keep the peace in Baltimore
- Penguins’ Pouliot learns from rookie season
- Arnold, New Kensington drug busts net 2 arrests, heroin, cocaine, cash
- Pittsburgh CLO-produced ‘American in Paris’ tops Tony nominations