WPIAL Class AA final notes: Aliquippa brings home another title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Aliquippa's is now 15-8 in WPIAL championship games, including a 13-12 victory over Washington in the 1952 title game. Aliquippa has won 70 WPIAL playoff games.
Most everyone knows that both schools in the Class AA finals are among the winningest in WPIAL history. Aliquippa has won 646 times, fourth best in the WPIAL annals; Washington checks in at 634 victories, sixth all time in the WPIAL.
Putting the brakes on
The Aliquippa defense held WPIAL rushing yardage leader Shai McKenzie to just 33 yards. McKenzie finished the year with 2,689 yards, just short of Rushel Shell's single-season mark of 2,740. McKenzie, a junior, tallied 42 touchdowns this season.
If there's one fact that illustrates Aliquippa's defensive domination — Washington didn't run a play from scrimmage in Quips territory. The closest the Little Prexies got to Aliquippa territory, other than the fumble recovery return, was their 46-yard line on their first possession of the game. Washington never had the ball for more than six offensive plays in a series, doing it twice.
Holding them down
Washington's defense held Aliquippa under its average of 52 points per game. Aliquippa has scored 658 points this season, fourth best in WPIAL history with the possibility of three games remaining.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arrested FIFA officials face extradition to United States
- Greek debt fears, surge in dollar nip at stock market
- Energy investors push green tactics
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto in Cuba on manufacturing trade mission
- Pirates notebook: Struggling Polanco held out of starting lineup
- Arrest made in 2014 case of Blawnox man found dead in Oakland
- Steelers’ Brown: Attendance ‘never a doubt’ for offseason workouts
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Billionaires club to decline as they retire