USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ferrante defense’s opening statement points to wife’s symptoms
- Student arrested at Shaler High School in roundup of 35 Allegheny County drug dealers
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- New movie studio coming to McKees Rocks
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Public’s help sought in identifying male remains found in Pittsburgh
- Woman taken into custody for fatal stabbing of male companion in Duquesne
- Tom Wolf to visit Leechburg on Saturday
- Cops: Washington County military surplus store sold stolen items
- 3 men arrested on drug charges in Donora
- Ex-judge in Philadelphia charged with bribery, conspiracy in sting case