USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Route 22 closed in Delmont after tractor-trailer crash at cloverleaf
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- More witness intimidation charges are filed against Plum teacher
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Presque Isle Downs cancels thoroughbred races due to running deer
- Vandergrift man accused of sexual assault
- Supreme Court justices ream EPA for ignoring costs to meet air standards
- Murrysville native Bullock vying for health magazine’s ‘Next Fitness Star’
- 80 percent of drivers found exceeding speed limit in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park
- Penguins bringing back defenseman Cole with 3-year extension