Prospect watch: Numbers boost NA's Gonzales
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-1, 220 pounds, DL, North Allegheny
Jeremy Gonzales is hoping that North Allegheny's extended playoff run pays dividends for his recruitment as the senior defensive tackle has played a major role in the Tigers' PIAA finals run.
“I definitely think so,” Gonzales said. “It gives me more stats.”
Numbers don't define the impact Gonzales has had for North Allegheny this season, starring on both sides of the ball. Despite his size, he starts at center and nose tackle.
“One thing that stands out is his agility,” North Allegheny quarterback Mack Leftwich said. “He's so much faster than other linemen. Even though he's smaller, he doesn't get moved around a lot. His talent, mixed with his mental edge, allows him to make plays. It shows on the field. He's a big playmaker for us.”
North Allegheny coach Art Walker believes Gonzales can do the same at the college level, where the interest ranges from Division I-AA Robert Morris to Division III John Carroll because Gonzales has the athleticism to play as a rush end or linebacker.
“He can play anywhere,” Walker said. “He's got a great motor. Whoever is getting him is getting a gold mine. I don't know if there's a better defensive lineman in the state.
“He's just a great football player. Not a great high school football player — I think that would be wrong here — but a great football player wherever he winds up.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman dead in two-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Unpaid August Wilson creditors seek help from judge
- Dunbar woman, toddler in critical condition after high-speed crash
- Former Rollier’s store to become art gallery, cafe
- Vin Diesel showing some love for Pittsburgh and co-star
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- LaBar: What the WrestleMania title match should be
- Valley Township couple goes all out for Halloween