Prospect watch: Numbers boost NA’s Gonzales
Published: Saturday, December 8, 2012, 9:48 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, December 9, 2012
6-foot-1, 220 pounds, DL, North Allegheny
Jeremy Gonzales is hoping that North Allegheny's extended playoff run pays dividends for his recruitment as the senior defensive tackle has played a major role in the Tigers' PIAA finals run.
“I definitely think so,” Gonzales said. “It gives me more stats.”
Numbers don't define the impact Gonzales has had for North Allegheny this season, starring on both sides of the ball. Despite his size, he starts at center and nose tackle.
“One thing that stands out is his agility,” North Allegheny quarterback Mack Leftwich said. “He's so much faster than other linemen. Even though he's smaller, he doesn't get moved around a lot. His talent, mixed with his mental edge, allows him to make plays. It shows on the field. He's a big playmaker for us.”
North Allegheny coach Art Walker believes Gonzales can do the same at the college level, where the interest ranges from Division I-AA Robert Morris to Division III John Carroll because Gonzales has the athleticism to play as a rush end or linebacker.
“He can play anywhere,” Walker said. “He's got a great motor. Whoever is getting him is getting a gold mine. I don't know if there's a better defensive lineman in the state.
“He's just a great football player. Not a great high school football player — I think that would be wrong here — but a great football player wherever he winds up.”
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Tehnology provides enhancement to home security systems
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched for soreness in right knee
- Sewickley man dies in overnight motorcycle accident
- Scandals vs. sway
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.