Prospect watch: Numbers boost NA's Gonzales
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-1, 220 pounds, DL, North Allegheny
Jeremy Gonzales is hoping that North Allegheny's extended playoff run pays dividends for his recruitment as the senior defensive tackle has played a major role in the Tigers' PIAA finals run.
“I definitely think so,” Gonzales said. “It gives me more stats.”
Numbers don't define the impact Gonzales has had for North Allegheny this season, starring on both sides of the ball. Despite his size, he starts at center and nose tackle.
“One thing that stands out is his agility,” North Allegheny quarterback Mack Leftwich said. “He's so much faster than other linemen. Even though he's smaller, he doesn't get moved around a lot. His talent, mixed with his mental edge, allows him to make plays. It shows on the field. He's a big playmaker for us.”
North Allegheny coach Art Walker believes Gonzales can do the same at the college level, where the interest ranges from Division I-AA Robert Morris to Division III John Carroll because Gonzales has the athleticism to play as a rush end or linebacker.
“He can play anywhere,” Walker said. “He's got a great motor. Whoever is getting him is getting a gold mine. I don't know if there's a better defensive lineman in the state.
“He's just a great football player. Not a great high school football player — I think that would be wrong here — but a great football player wherever he winds up.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets
- Week before sentencing, Ferrante seeks acquittal or new trial
- McCord to plead guilty to federal charges from campaign fundraising
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- 2nd lawsuit filed against Gov. Wolf seeking reinstatement of open records director
- Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
- Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals
- Pittsburgh mayor denies ethics investigation into his ‘Undercover Boss’ performance
- Police say couple in Oakland murder-suicide had ‘troubled’ relationship
- Civilians killed in fighting in separatist-held Donetsk, Ukraine
- Crash closes Pittsburgh Street in Springdale